WSM Smoked Salmon Pictures

shawn244

TVWBB Fan
I smoked some salmon last night and it came out great. I brined the salmon overnight. I used my favorite Brine recipe:
1/2 lb brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup soy
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp onion flakes
1 tsp garlic powerder
1 tsp pepper
Hot Sauce
1.5 quarts water

Once I removed the salmon from the brine I air dried the salmon for 1 hour and sprinkled it with cajun seasoning. I smoked the salmon using 4 chuncks of Alder wood for 3 hours at 205. This morning I had a english muffing with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Awesome Breakfast.
You can see the pictures here:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=353886833205&page=1&sort_order=0

Shawn,

They look mighty fine to me! When can I come for breakfast
icon_biggrin.gif
?

Awesome! Those pics make me drool...

Just curious--how did you keep the temp of the WSM down at 205? Did you use the MM? I'm guessing you didn't since it was such a short cook, but thought I'd ask nonetheless...

Actually I did use the MM but on a really small scale. I lit about 8 briqueets in the chimeny and put down about a couple of pounds of unlit charcol in the WSM. The secret is to control the temp on the way up. I closed two vents when the temp hit 185. I left the thrid vent open about 33%. It took about 15 minutes for the temp to hit 205. The highest the tempeture got was 215. At that point I closed all three vents for the last hour of the cook.

Shawn, those pictures are great. I was supposed to smoke some salmon today, but unbeknownst to me my wife set-up a dentist appt. for my son. That put the kibosh on any smoking. Needless to say, we had a discussion on what she should and shouldn't expect me to do on my "smoking day". So I'm going to set up for a sat. smoke. I'd like to use your brine recipe and see how it comes out. If my come out looking half as good as yours I'll be a happy camper.

Scott. I have been using that brine recipe for a while now. I like to make some variations on it from time to time. Try putting in about half cup of maple syrup or Honey. I also have tried to mix worcheshaire sauce with the soy sauce. All with great results. Good luck.

The Salmon was a fillet "Kenai Wild Alaskan salmon" that I cut into smaller fillets. I got it from a local store called Schnucks. It was frozen and cost $13.

Hey shawn, just finished smoking up three salmon fillets. Used your brine recipe - excellent. Took out after 3.5 hours. Looked and tasted great. The only thing I think that I did wrong was I either left them in the brine too long (four hours) or didn't clean them off enough as they were slightly more salty than I like. Can't wait to find some "real" salmon and smoke that.

Back