wsm shortcoming

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
well, its unique for me being in a wheelchair. i don't have a permanent place to put my wsm thus i need to move it occasionally. i just moved it, piece by piece, what a pain! so looks like i need to put some wheels on it. problem is that i really don't want to raise it much higher as its just right for me as it is. i'll look through the posts for what has been done already but if anyone has any ideas on this unique issue, let me know. thanks,

George why dont you have someone take some 1-18" to 1-14" by 1/8" thick flatstock aluminum and bend it in a vice to make yourself some different shaped legs that are wider and lower then add the casters. I made a set in less than 1 hour that were wider. I didn't need them lower. Here's a pic of the wider legs I made.
Picture602.jpg

If you only need to move it occasionally, then why not make your own furniture dolly..
This way you can disassemble your WSM and move it in one piece, and its not permanent.
This is one design that looks like it might work.

Tim

George,you can get casters at Lowes or HD that are strong enough to carry the WSM,and will raise it less than 2 inches. HTH

I have a new style and was thinking I could give actual measurements.What you need is a three pieces of "C" channel for the legs.(would look like a y)The WSM legs would fit in the C Channel(could be bolted) The wheels need to be outside the points so the base can sit lower to the ground. Usually 1 inch clearance is enough for clearance. The wheels need to be mounted to allow full swivel. (needs to clear lowered base). I would recommend the weber wheels
Weber Wheels
These lock in place have a small swivel space and we know will work.Using the Y style base will make sure to not block any access.I am in the process of making a similar one for a 22. I will post pictures when done.

George, I recall a thread a while back about making a base out of a satellite dish that looked pretty functional. You may be able to mount the casters a little further toward the center so it doesn't raise the WSM too much.

Back