WSM Ribs w/Clay Pot Base

scott zanders

TVWBB Member
Did my 2nd cook today with the WSM.

Since I have no cooks with water to compare the clay pot base cook with I'll just post the results.

Meat: 2 slabs of St Louis cut spares on rib racks on the top grate and the cut pieces on the bottom grate.

Thermometers: 2 ET-73's under the lid on top and bottom grates.

Fuel: 1 lit chimney of Royal Oak charcoal. 1/2 chimney unlit.
4 cherry wood chunks - dry.

Weather: 65F Overcast, windy.

Original empty water pan foiled and clay pot base foiled inside of water pan.

Cook: Lit the 3/4 chimney full of RO, also had some left over charcoal from previous cook 1/4 chimney. Note: Forget using old charcoal.

1030 - Added lit to charcoal ring and added 1/2 unlit RO. Waited till all were almost gray then added cherry wood and assembled smoker. Ribs on.

1037 - Closed 2 bottom vents. 3rd full open. Lid full open. Top - 256F Bottom 215F.

1100 - Top 261 Bottom 242. Closed bottom vent to 1/2

1130 - T-240, B-228

1215 - T-243, B-230

1315 - T-244, B-231

1345 - T-172, B-186 Opened 2 vents to 100%

1400 - T-226, B-239

1445 - Temps kept dropping, but the ribs were done.

Conclusion:
Next time I'll add more charcoal at the beginning. I'm very satisfied with the clay pot base. The temps were very stable even with the wind. Cleanup was a breeze
icon_biggrin.gif

I would've cooked the ribs a bit longer. A little dry. Maybe a little water in the clay pot base?
They were bite tender, not yet fall of the bone tender. The smoke ring was beautiful.
I won't use leftover charcoal again. If I do I'll add more new.
Remove 2nd charcoal grate. Only use it with lump. Ash didn't drop away.

After 3hrs

Done

Smoke Ring

Leftover charcoal

I LOVE MY WSM! Almost set and forget. Already planning my next cook - Pulled Pork!!

Looks good to me. What does the clay do for ya I am assuming that it does the same as the water and helps keep direct heat off of the food. Some mighty fine grub there though.

Scott,

When using old coals , you need to knock the old ash off. Yours seem to have a lot of ash on them. I always use the old coals, especially in my 22.5 weber w/ great results.

I love the clay pot method. Easy cleanup and you don't have to worry about water on a overnight cook!

Tom

if you put water in the clay pot, you might as well use the original water pan. not much added benefit - it's all a heat sink anyhow. Water in the pan won't contribute any moisture to the final product. I find it does have an affect on the bark, but that's it.

Congrats... seems like a good cook.

- Adam

Back