WSM or grill?

Keith McGregor

TVWBB Member
I have a dilemma and could use some opinions. This weekend I am going to cook a standing rib roast for Easter dinner. I have both a WSM and a Weber platinum grill with a separate smoker box. My question is: Which should I use? While I can likely get the WSM up to a high heat to sear the herb crust I plan to use, I have much more control with the gas grill. Plus, I have the ability to add smoke with grill and turn down the temps after 30 minutes or so at the 450*. I may sound like I am leaning toward the grill but I really like the idea of using the WSM. What's your opinion?

Keith

Both....high heat sear on the gas grill and then put on the WSM to finish. Plus its fun to use more than one cooker at a time.....

Well, I don't have a Weber platinum grill (I have a Weber kettle), but I'd do it on the bullet.

To get the sear, just put the grate with the roast right on the charcoal ring. Center section set to the side, of course. You can do that before or after the low temp smoking.

Keith, IMHO, I would go with what you are more comfortable with using for the Holiday dinner. When it comes to a special dinner, I go with what I know will work. I know the WSM will do a great job of smoking it if you do go that route. I'm sure you'll get opinions either way, and there is no right or wrong answer. Keep us posted as to how it went.
Have fun.

I always do my "higher heat" cooks on my charcoal kettle. It just is easier to cook with in those higher temps than the WSM. It would be even easier in the gasser, not that I always do things the easy way, mind you.

Many folks seem to prefer high heat-first or last and long low,slow cook. Any of the above will work...but I am inclined to believe that high and low should be part of the cook if possible.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with your recommendations. I decided to do the prime rib on the grill using the smoker box. I have to say that it turned damn near perfect. I used the Chris' herb crust recipe and indirect heat. Started out at 450* for about 30 minutes. After that I reduced the temp to about 350* as measured at the hood. Then I began adding small pieces of hickory to the smoker box. I was nervous about too much smoke, so I played it safe and used about two and a half fistfulls of chips. They really kicked out a ton smoke for about 45 minutes. Pulled it from the grill right at 125*. Let it sit in a pan under foil for about another 30 minutes. Perfect medium rare. Wife and I will be eating the leftovers at least another week.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back