WSM on a wood deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett_Roundy

TVWBB Fan
Got my WSM Wednesday (ordered from Amazon through this webpage)...put it together on the deck and fired up some Kingsfords to burn it in...

Yesterday I wanted to do another test burn and decided that a couple of skinless/boneless chicken breasts would do the trick...fired up some lump charcoal and the temp got away from me a bit...350 or so...and I wondered how hot the deck under it would be, so I performed a scientific test which involved touching the deck with my bare toes...ouch!!!

The deck was so hot that I was suprised that I didn't have blisters on the tips of each toe...

I ended up putting a round galvanized plate down that had came with a Brinkman turkey cooker and pouring cold water on the plate...was wondering what other people do if you use the WSM on a wood deck?

Oh...and the plum wood that a co-worker gave me was yummy with the chicken /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ...can't wait to do the baby-backs tomorrow

You may want to consider protecting your deck from potential burns and stains with a product like an automotive oil drip tray, or similar items which are marketed specifically for grills and the like, and maybe even two-- one for the cooker, and one to set the lid on when you baste and turn.

the round galvinized metal plate that I put down is large enough that all 3 feet of the WSM are inside the slightly raised lip...just wonder about heat transfer through it, particularly on long cooks...

has anyone actually scortched a deck?

You may still get a scorch depending on the finish on the deck. I have seen some people use the large concrete stepstones-- 24"x24"-- and make the WSM its own pad rather than risk deck damage.

By all means, put down your metal pan, then use cinder blocks or something like it to lift the WSM off the deck. The first time I cooked in my yard I burned a ring into the grass. That sucked. Now I lay three cinder blocks down flat and have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back