WSM Door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Barineau

TVWBB Super Fan
My WSM has about a 3/16" gap on one side and about a 1/8" gap on the other. With all bottom vents closed 100% temp still rises. Reckon I have air leaking enough to cause this temp rise?

If so, how can I safely bend the door sides to fit tighter without buggering up the door?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

My door was also warped outwards along the vertical edges. Use a straight sturdy surface, like the edge of a bench or countertop-- I used my gas grill lid-- and hold one edge of the door on it with the heel of your hand and a little firm pressure. Use your free hand to make small adjustments, checking as you go by replacing the door on the cooker. I would be reluctant to use pliers to fix an edge warp-- you'll never get small kinks or bends back out once you've accidently made them.

Last year I left one of my WSM's in my carport and backed my pickup into it. The trailer hitch was on and hit the door right in the middle making lots of bends. I used a flatter on the horn of my anvil and made it as good as new. If you don't have a anvil laying around you could use a coffee can or a larger diameter pick of pipe to put it over.

Tom, guess I was lucky. When I got my WSM the door was only "slightly tweeked". I was able to shape it into the acceptible range with my hands. It still seeps out wisps of smoke but does'nt affect cooking at all.
If you just can't get it back into shape, the people at Webber would help I'm sure. If not, 3M has a product called fire caulk. Used around fire places, chimneys etc. Pretty good stuff. Don't know if it would work on the WSM because of the porcelien coating. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back