wsm disaster II

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A few weeks ago I setup a long burn, the water pan went dry, and the meat got overcooked in 10 hours.
Yesterday I lined the water pan with foil.
I put sand in it and patted it down into the shape of the bowl about two inches thick. I lined the top of that with foil. I put on some ribs, setup for a long burn with no water in the pan. I opened the vents enough to burn hot. I left it alone for three hours. Just above the cooking grate the temp was 348 deg. The melted fat in the water pan was 348 deg. The bottom side of the water pan was 516 deg.
It looks like this is going to work great for all nighters. The fat drips into the water pan and won't burn. The temperature was very stable. No more burnt briskets when I have to leave the house for ten hours.
I'll try it again this weekend at 250 for 10 hours and monitor the temperature gradient.

Dave
I know folks talk about cooking with no water but a WSM works the best with water in the waterpan. You need to check water at 4 to 6 hour mark and add water if needed. It really cooks good Q using water.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back