WSM Cart Enclosure Project

Awesome looking! One question, and maybe it is a stupid one...how easy is it to remove the middle section of the WSM with this configuration? I assume you remove it when you are cleaning the bowl and starting the fire for a cook.

Looks great Jamie.
I'm currently living in another province but my buddy is still working away on mine.
icon_wink.gif
Hope to be reunited in the next couple months.

Looks awesome, Jamie!! In regards to any bare wood near the smoker, such as the framing, enclosure hole, etc. you definitely want to cover any exposed wood with either the eclipse or reflectix. Here's why:

A number of years ago I lived in a brand new townhouse which had gas heat and hot water. The hot water heater was in a closet and sat on the bare subflooring. Instead of legs, the water heater had a plate that sat directly on the floor with air holes cut around it. Exactly a year later, my townhouse caught fire. I came home just in time to see a fireman shoveling my burnt, smoldering posessions out of my bedroom window. The fire marshal pinpointed the culprit as being that water heater. The plate base stored enough heat to slowly dry and heat the plywood until it reached its flashpoint. That complex had several fires over the next few years.

Not saying that your beautiful enclosure will catch but why take chances?

Wish I had your woodworking skills!! You could easily build and sell them!! Again a great job!

Originally posted by Jason Nelms:
Awesome looking! One question, and maybe it is a stupid one...how easy is it to remove the middle section of the WSM with this configuration? I assume you remove it when you are cleaning the bowl and starting the fire for a cook.

Yes. The middle section lifts right up out of the hole without any problem. There is even enough room to leave the access door and handle in place though it is slightly easier to remove the access door before removing the middle section.

Here is a pic of the modified smoker area. I finally covered up all of the exposed wood in that area with the Eclipse material.

SAM_0042.jpg

Are you worried that it could move just a little and topple in there? The legs have to be in the right place and stay put.

For us less handy folks, I purchased a small table from IKEA and used that as a frame. I'll post pictures up when I get started but it seems much easier.

I wish I could do something like this cart though. Job well done!

Jamie,

I just bought the Weber bullet and joined the forum. I came across this thread and am planning on making a cart like yours. Would you mind if I asked a couple of questions?

First, can you give me some general measurements of the cart? Second, now that you have had it for a while, would you suggest any changes?

Thx.

Rick

I just came across this and had to make a post to bring this forward. What awesome workmanship!!
icon_wink.gif

Jamie,

Great project! As I get ready to start my own, are there any 'lessons learned' or adjustments you've made a couple of years later that make it even greater?

Very inspiring work my friend!

Mike

Back