WSM Capacity

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Thanks, Chris, for adding the Capacity Chart. It's very helpful!

A learning experience: January was my first time cooking a really big load of bl/sl chicken breasts.

I cooked 18.8 pounds (36 breast halves without tenders, 7–12 oz each) of boneless, skinless chicken breasts that I brined before cooking. I cooked them at 225*F.

I added two BGE extender grates to make 4 levels.

18.8 pounds barely fit, but I got them all in the WSM. With that load and 4 grates, I decided against trying to rearrange them partway through the cook, a bad decision I suppose. As I expected, the meat around the outside edge dried out a little more than was acceptable, but the rest were very good and remained moist.

Next time I'll cut the maximum quantity down to maybe 14 pounds or less, depending on what fits after I keep the meat further away from sides of the WSM.

If anyone out there has done a 4-grate cook of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, how many pounds of meat did you use?

Rita

I know that that's the prevailing opinion, but I have a gas grill and feel that I get better smoke penetration in the WSM and really like the result. Besides, if I used a grill I couldn't call it barbecued chicken!
icon_smile.gif

Back