WSM break-in weekend - I'm sold

Glenn de Souza

I've been struggling with an offset firebox pit for about 7 years now, and have never gotten to the point where the fire could go untended for more than an hour without losing temp. So I find this site, linked to Amazon, ordered a WSM, got a Trend thermometer (mounted in dome), Brinkmann water pan, Maverick and let it rip this weekend. Used Kingsford and applewood chunks.

Did a smoked salmon, cured corned beef brisket, and moved on to a cryovac 13lb butt from Costco. The salmon and corned beef turned out primo. The butt went on at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday using MM for a "simulated" night cook. Held temp really well hovering between 225-250 except for one unexplainable spike up to 270. After 13.5 hours, the last hour foiled, pulled the butt and started shredding it immediately. Meat temp at that point was reading about 185-190. Couldn't believe how it fell apart. Only complaint is that the meat, second day seemed a tad dry (although it seemed pretty moist while pulling). I've gotten pulled pork off the offset before that was more moist second day. Could I have overcooked it, or should I have let it rest before pulling? With a little sauce, my results are okay, but I'm looking for really moist pulled pork.

My dome reads about 240, and I assume the temp drop at the grate would be down to around 225. Is this a fair bet?

Thanks for all the info on this site. Can't believe how efficient the cooker is and how little fussing with the fire is necessary! It kept going at 225+ for over 16 hours.

Glenn

I usually let mine get to 195 internal, the let it rest (foiled) in a cooler for a couple of hours before I try and pull it. I've never had a dried out butt. Maybe that's it?

George- I did top off the water pan twice. I didn't start the cook with the pan totally full. I left some space to be able to add hot or cold water for some temp control as needed. As it were, I ended up adding cold water to help bring down the temp during a spike.

Jim-the brisket actually was tender but salty. I got one of those St.Patrick's day marinated briskets at Costco, and didn't know enough to soak it and change the water to remove the brine. It was the pulled pork that was a bit on the dry side and I'm starting to think it was due to me not resting the meat before pulling.
Let me ask you something about your method; when I started up the cooker with a full ring of unlit plus about 18 lit coals, it was fuming charcoal smoke for about the first 30-45 minutes, and then stopped fuming and was fine for the balance of the cook. Was that the lit coals immediately igniting the unlit coals?

Glenn

I think you'll be even more pleased with your pulled pork if you'll let the temp get at or very close to 195. However, that could mean a couple of more hours beyond where you were. I don't think the time in foil caused the pork to seem drier the next day. Most feel the time in foil doesn't necessarily benefit or hurt the pork, but gives the cook a saftey margin for getting dinner ready. My guess would be either how you stored it or how you reheated it caused it to seem drier. If it's not vacuumed sealed, then the best way I've found is to do a light spray of AJ and reheat at a LOW setting in the microwave.

The smoke you described is consistent with my experience and you're probably right about the reason for the smoke. I guess a lit coal could have also started up a wood chunk ?

Glad you like the WSM.

Paul

Back