wsm ash catcher.

As a cajun bandit user, I have a totally different ash problem, but... I would think any kind of steel bowl or pan that fits below the vent wheels would work, with some bailing wire handles to fish it back out.

Originally posted by george curtis:
anyone design or have ideas on a ash catcher for the wsm as opposed to just letting the ashes dump on the bottom ?

I wonder if a bowl of the right dimensions placed in the bottom below the charcoal grate, and partly filled with some substance, might be helpful in capturing some super-light ash to keep it from flying around so badly. Then after a cook and some cool-down, lift the bowl out and dispose of the ash in a garbage bag. And hose it out for the next cook. I will see if I can find such a bowl and try that. I guess water would not be a good idea, since it would steam and evaporate. Sand, maybe? I wonder if ash would stick to sand. (You can tell from my grease bowl posting, I like bowls.) If a round version of a throw-away aluminum turkey roaster could be found, that might be a good one.

But I wonder if the flying ash is from the burning coals on the grate, or from the pile of ash below. My interest in this is mainly the flying ash.

OK, here is what I may try next week. Though I like to make minimum use of aluminum foil, I will take two measured heavy-duty foil sheets and lay one down on the floor of the ash area. Then take the other and lay it crosswise. When time comes to remove ashes, pick up the corners of the foil and hoist it out, dump the ashes in your ash can, and put the foil back in place.

As for the flying ash annoyances, further research on charcoal availabilities hereabouts has me leaning toward an attempt to do everything on the WSM with lump charcoal. I have located a place about an hour away that sells several lumps, including BGE's. On the lump database page it sounds like a winner, if I can't find Royal Oak in this area. That database review thinks that BGE lump charcoal is Royal Oak's best char pieces, thus the higher price.

When I bought my WSM, I got two water pans with it. I have used the second water as an ash catcher, it fits beneath the vent wheels, is easy to pick up and dump in a garbage bag/can. Hose it off and away you go.

Originally posted by Cris:
When I bought my WSM, I got two water pans with it. I have used the second water as an ash catcher, it fits beneath the vent wheels, is easy to pick up and dump in a garbage bag/can. Hose it off and away you go.

Neat! Is that the smaller, pre-2009 water pan, or ... ? Might find one of those at one of the Not a Hardware Store outfits here.

Originally posted by george curtis:
r ryan, what charcoal are ya using ?

Been using the "Stubbs" label stuff. Starts quick, if a bit smoky. Burns well and long. But it has that small, light, white ash that tends to blow around, which I have seen also from K Comp and I hear is common among the vegetable binder brands. I doubt I can find a better briquet choice, at least hereabouts. But I want to see if I am not happier with a good lump charcoal. Not a serious WSM user, just a casual one. And I suspect lump might be just about my speed.

Originally posted by R. Ryan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cris:

Neat! Is that the smaller, pre-2009 water pan, or ... ? Might find one of those at one of the Not a Hardware Store outfits here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it is a pre-2009 WSM water pan.

r ryan, yep, that stuff plus rancher will have the ash floating around. i don't find that happening with the regular briq charcoalas you observed. one thing to remember is to take the lid off slowly and to the side. seems better this way.

Was gonna begin my lump cooking with a trip to a BGE supplier in Dallas later this week. But, found today that there is a good supply of Royal Oak lump right here, and bought my first two 10 pound bags at $6.35 per. I'll keep the double-grate idea in mind as I see how it goes. And look forward to the end of flying ash, hopefully. The RO lump will have the honor of fueling a two-brisket or two-flat cook later this week.

Back