WSM 22.5 Gasket Installlation

Dwight Pennington

TVWBB Member
Hello to Chris and his GoodTime WSM Gang..

Gonna install the gaskets for my new WSM 22.5 smoker and need any advice I can get...Got the instructions from BBQGaskets but wanted to know if there was a better way.....Thanks

Hi Dwight, I also purchased the kit for my 22 1/2". Installed before first use. Installed on mid section top (for lid), bottom section and door. After installing on bottom section I removed the gasket material and kept the adhesive on the WSM. It was actually too tight with gasket installed on my WSM. Kept material on top and door. WSM ran 250 degrees on first fire up. Followed directions that came with gasket.

Justin @ BBQGaskets.com has several variations of the Nomex. The peel and stick material works really well but I think like Roger it's too thick for the bottom. I've done two smokers with Nomex and lined the underside of my 26 lid l with the peel and stick. For the bowl I used the regular material and stretched it out a bit putting the adhesive on by hand. I place it on the bottom of the mid section, not on the bowl. It worked well is still in place. The Nomex is a great addition to the WSM and works quite well under the lid of my big kettle.

Thanks Gary and Roger....My bottom is not fitting either, Roger....Gonna do a smoke today and see if it settles down or not...If not, I might have to take it off and do it over...Or maybe even do w/o it....We'll see....I shake so bad I got silicone all over the place....Lol....Oh Well....Gotta do what you gotta do....

Gary, wish I had stretched mine out now....seems it will seal better with the tight fit....We'll see....Thanks again Guys

Thanks Gary and Roger....My bottom is not fitting either, Roger....Gonna do a smoke today and see if it settles down or not...If not, I might have to take it off and do it over...Or maybe even do w/o it....We'll see....I shake so bad I got silicone all over the place....Lol....Oh Well....Gotta do what you gotta do....

Gary, wish I had stretched mine out now....seems it will seal better with the tight fit....We'll see....Thanks again Guys

The fit on my WSM is snug enough that when I pick up the mid section the bowl comes with it. Now in a few seconds it will break free but I can guarantee no air is getting by in the mid section. I have emailed Justin a few times and sent him some photos, I think the regular Nomex like I used is not as user friendly so he does not market it as much but it's the best fit for the bowl but in actual fact lay the mid section on it's side and role the gasket material around the mid section just under the crease at the bottom.

Thanks Gary...Yes, I think it could take alittle stretching and it's working fine except around the door where I messed it up...Need another door instead of that flimsy aluminum one....Leaking jus alittle around the lid, but not bad overall....I put my bottom one on the midsection also...

Thanks Gary...Yes, I think it could take alittle stretching and it's working fine except around the door where I messed it up...Need another door instead of that flimsy aluminum one....Leaking jus alittle around the lid, but not bad overall....I put my bottom one on the midsection also...

If you think so???..but if you get the gasket material on there properly the aluminum door will bend to fit...it's about patience. I am very happy with my 18.5 and I don't have the CB door. What I did was leave the door original and place about 5 inches of gasket inside the mid section as the bottom to take up the extra air space. Then I carefully worked the door around the mid section. It's great.

Thanks Dwight. Grey hair comes at a price you know :) I did do two of them and you do learn from every experience. You will be happy with the Nomex. I would do it right from new if I were buying another WSM

Last edited:
But I made alot of mistakes on my cook....Meat tough and not cooked long enough....But did learn more about what's going on with my temps and such...And what makes the meat tender...

ok just got my CB door and gasket kit. has anyone put the gasket on the inside of the door instead of the outside of the smoker body?
also, on the newer WSM models is the consensus to put the bottom gasket on the center body and not the base?

ok just got my CB door and gasket kit. has anyone put the gasket on the inside of the door instead of the outside of the smoker body?
also, on the newer WSM models is the consensus to put the bottom gasket on the center body and not the base?

I put my gasket on the inside of the CB door and did not gasket the where the main body meets the charcoal bowl. Air tight when shut down.

Back