WSM 22.5 + cajun bandit door + Compression latch (SC-62315)

Just added a Cajun bandit door and compression latch to my new 22.5. A little gasket in there for good measure as well. :)

IMG_0300_zps5380c4f5.jpg

Ordered my latch on the 19th through Amazon. It finally shipped on the 25th and I am supposed to get it tomorrow.

I have the compression latch and love it, mine seals up tight enough that I don't need a gasket. One thing that is not mentioned much with the compression latch is that the system protrudes so deep into the cooker that you really have to be careful when moving your water pan or bottom grate, these can catch on the latch.

I have the compression latch and love it, mine seals up tight enough that I don't need a gasket. One thing that is not mentioned much with the compression latch is that the system protrudes so deep into the cooker that you really have to be careful when moving your water pan or bottom grate, these can catch on the latch.

I don't remove either during a cook, so that should be fine.

Yeah, all I do before a cook is grab the cheapo aluminum pan out of the water pan, rinse it off and then put it back...

ordered a cajun bandit for my 18.5,gaskets and compression latch,cant wait to put it all together.just installed the probe grommet on the top rack from the BBQ Guru

Got my compression latch yesterday. Final piece to my mods (hopefully). Used some leftover door gasket and some high temp electrical tape to me it temp safe to grab the latch. Will install tomorrow and test it when I cook 4 racks of spares Sunday.

Yes, THANK you to you guys who figured out the right compression latch to use and shared it with those of us who are more mechanically-challenged. The CB door and compression latch are on their way (to get ready for the CyberQ WiFi, which is also on the way). I'm looking forward to plugging those door leaks and regaining better control over my temps.

Mark youre gonna love the mods,keep us posted when you get it all hooked up..
dont panic if your cajun door is off a little,just give it a little hug here and there and you will be ok..my door needed some conoodling when I got it..

Thanks Alan. I think I actually read your latch thread for the idea. ;)

Thanks Terry - I got the idea from another TVWBB posting - so thanks to Chris and the community for providing this forum where we can share and recycle ideas!

Just ordered my latch! This coupled with the Cajun Bandit door, will this mean I finally have a properly fitting, quality door?!?!?!?!?

Definitely a quality door. If your barrel is out of round like mine was (and still is a little bit), you might still have a minor leak. I added the gasket from BBQ Gaskets to the inside of my door and that closed up what little leak I had.

My new Cajun Bandit door & compression latch arrived today. The compression latch had no instructions, but someone here gave a link to them (and even told the right drill bit to buy to make the latch fit the door. With that guidance, it was a breeze to enlarge the hole, install the compression latch, and put it on the wsm. It took 5 minutes max, and fits like a glove. It's raining here this evening, so I didn't get a chance to use it, but it looks pretty airtight.

HI guys,

I received my latch the other day and I'm looking at the diagram that Jeff Jones provided and I am a bit confused. With the nuts and washers there's a small square plate with a lip and the center cut out. Where does this go in the assembly? I must be over looking something. Any help?

Thanks!

If you have the same latch I have, it is on page 6 of that PDF file and I think you are talking about the "cam retaining cup". It is on the most inside right between the nut and the cam.

Back