WSM 18.5 cart

Thanks Matt. I finally figured it out. I had to rename the file to get it to open. I had to change it from an .skb file to an .skp and it opened right up. I think I'm gonna be trying my hand at one of these with a couple changes. I am thinking out making the sides equal and on the non-smoker side I am gonna close the floor. Also I think I am going to put a slide out drawer on that side as well to keep some goodies. Do you use a controller on your smoker. I was wondering how much air gets in there if you didn't have one. Do you have any trouble getting to your vents on the back?

Thanks Matt. I finally figured it out. I had to rename the file to get it to open. I had to change it from an .skb file to an .skp and it opened right up. I think I'm gonna be trying my hand at one of these with a couple changes. I am thinking out making the sides equal and on the non-smoker side I am gonna close the floor. Also I think I am going to put a slide out drawer on that side as well to keep some goodies. Do you use a controller on your smoker. I was wondering how much air gets in there if you didn't have one. Do you have any trouble getting to your vents on the back?

Oops! I grabbed the Sketchup backup file by accident. I'll fix it in google drive.

The other side would work great for storage and I might actually add some pegs for a shelf on mine too. I do use a Heatermeter temperature controller with a 6.5 CFM fan and it didn't have any issue getting air in. There's a lot of open area on the bottom for fresh air. I keep the back vents closed but otherwise, they would be pretty difficult to get to when it's in the cabinet. It wouldn't be too hard to add a little access door on the back to reach in and adjust vents if you're smoker is naturally aspirated.

That came out really nice with some nice workmanship there.

Wish I could figure out how to use Google sketchup that well

The biggest sketchup tip I can give is to turn everything into groups. Every piece of wood is it's own group. Otherwise, whenever two pieces touch, they will interact with each other and meld into one object which can cause trouble down the road. So once you model a board, right click it, "Select > All Connected" (now the board and all the sides and edges should be selected) then right click again and select "Make Group".

Awesome work and thanks for the tip. I've picked sketchup up 2 or 3 times and everytime, I needed to focus on getting the task done instead of learning a new application. But, you've inspired me to try it again someday. I mostly use a laptop and don't have a mouse connected. That hinders me with design apps like this and blender (another one I've picked up several times).

I'd highly recommend picking up a cheap mouse for Sketchup. I got this one on clearance a few years ago. The best thing about it is that it can be used wired or wirelessly. I leave the wireless receiver in my laptop and the wire in the desktop. If I'm doing something on the laptop that benefits from a mouse then I just unplug it from the desktop (the cord plugs in right at the front of the mouse) and its ready to go.

Back