WSC or Kamado owners, which fuels?

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Which fuels are you using for which types of cooks and meals?

For example, last night we cooked off some pizzas using KF Pro and added small blocks of California white oak to the coals for a more wood-fired pizza taste. Had decent success but when burning coals on hot (not smoked foods temps), the oak smoked and burned off fast.

I did some searching here and wasn't too successful in finding a thread on this type of topic for WSC owners.

Hopefully this thread can be of resource to other WSC owners as the WSC/Kamado hold their temps really well and are pretty fuel efficient.

So what fuels do you like, why and for which types/kinds of cooks?

WSC is happy with either lump or bricks. I suggest you try lump, I have a bag of Jealous Devil and it worked well. Most of the time I use KCC. That is my go to charcoal.

Cowboy hardwood blend lump for a mild smoke flavor. It's more about convenience than anything since its usually available at Lowes.
I add 4-5 apple chunks when I'm smoking pork.

Lazzari Mesquite for chicken, and sometimes for tri tip.

I just picked up a bag of Jealous Devil but have yet to try it. Green Acres has this.

I also use Oak for beef, but also use it for pizza. There is place called MeMe's marketplace on Folsom Blvd, just west of Hazel. I haven't been there in a few months, but they used to have 40 lb bags of Oak at a good price. I forget the brand. I'm currently out of it. I called a few weeks ago they were out of stock.

and, take this advice with a grain of salt ( or maybe a lump of coal) as it is coming from a BGE owner's point of view.

Cowboy hardwood blend lump for a mild smoke flavor. It's more about convenience than anything since its usually available at Lowes.
I add 4-5 apple chunks when I'm smoking pork.

Lazzari Mesquite for chicken, and sometimes for tri tip.

I just picked up a bag of Jealous Devil but have yet to try it. Green Acres has this.

I also use Oak for beef, but also use it for pizza. There is place called MeMe's marketplace on Folsom Blvd, just west of Hazel. I haven't been there in a few months, but they used to have 40 lb bags of Oak at a good price. I forget the brand. I'm currently out of it. I called a few weeks ago they were out of stock.

and, take this advice with a grain of salt ( or maybe a lump of coal) as it is coming from a BGE owner's point of view.
it's all valid. kamado kamado. insulated cookers are pretty close to each other.

i have a client that gift's me occasional CA white oak. pretty decent from my pizza cook. i have chunk hardwoods on hand so I will use those too with charcoal for flavor(s).

i picked up a double pack of Cowboy at Folsom Costco yesterday. will use those on NY Strips I bought. check CL for Oak locally. I saw some up for sale the other day and probably just up the hill from us, and some seasons fruit woods too.

I used my mitre saw to make chunks from some split logs. worked perfectly.

Most of the time I use KCC.
I have some cherry chunks on hand. i'm guessing i'll add those to my KPro. we just finished our KBB stash and need to stock up as it's looking thin out there in the market for coal and lump right now by us (Folsom/El Dorado Hills).

I’ve come to use lump. I had some Red Oak and didn’t like it; ran too hot, wild temp swings, unstable on a smoke, and flavor was meh. I’ve gotten Jealous Devil the last 4 or 5 bags and really like it.

Good flavor, stable temps, real easy to work with.

I use both briquettes and lump. Coming from the more traditional "kamado" world (Keg, BGE, Vision ceramic), I always used lump (various brands). When I upgraded (IMO) to the Summit S6, I started using more briquette (no problem finding Weber brand here yet!) and really enjoying it. Bringing back a real nostalgic flavor profile.

I even mix the two very often...but in general, when I want a constant, lower temp, I mostly use briquettes, and when I want nuclear temps, I'll use lump. I find lump, especially the heavy, dense brands, are great for longer low/slows too and I save the extra large pieces for that purpose.

I use both
I bought around 40 boxes of CharBroil lump when Lowes was blowing it out at $10 a box 4-5 years ago.
It is mostly small-medium sized pieces. It didn't get great reviews
I use it mostly. Looks like it's still around
For real long cooks on one full load of fuel I use Kingsford Hardwood briquets

Last edited:

Back