Wrap your Butt?

M Menendez

TVWBB Fan
I was watching the Memphis in May BBQ show over the weekend and one of the guys was wrapping his butts in aluminum foil when they reached 125 deg F it looked like the same thing was going on with Chris Lilly does any one else do this?

Thanks
Mike

I think 125 is a little low to be wrapping. But, then again I've never won like Chris Lilly. If I wrap, I do it at about 165.

And--what wins and what is actually something you'd want to make a meal of are often two very different things.

Wasn't that one guys quote..."if you aint wrappin, you aint winning"?
icon_biggrin.gif

125* is below when smoke ring formation stops and way below when the connective tissue and fat are broken down. Seems way too early to me. Actually before you take it off the cooker seems too early to me. Wrapping before the butt makes it through the plateau will rush it through that point of the cooking process. Not good in my opinion.

The only time I have wraped my butts was to speed the finish of the cook. Then again I don't enter contest's. I am just an eater.
icon_biggrin.gif
Well cooker/eater.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I have wrapped at 180 to finish, and I agree, 125 is too low. And when I wrapped at 180, I don't think I could have done any better on taste.

Back