Wrap Pork Butt? HELP

M Menendez

TVWBB Fan
Ok, I am going to do two butts for the 4th and have been hearing about people wraping while on the smoker at what temperature do you wrap and for how long.

Thanks

Here's one of Chris' good articles and it will tell you a lot about the option of a quick cook butt. I haven't used the method in a while and it has some pros and cons, as does the conventional method. However, its a nice tool to have available.

Paul

Well the whole reason I bring this up is that when watching the big Memphis in May BBQ contest a number of BBQ teams talked about wrapping their shoulders for tenderness.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I also had a brief discussion with Myron, from Old South, and he uses foil on his shoulders. At that contest, he was cooking whole shoulders.

Paul

Instead of wrapping at a specific temperature, I wrap when the bark is the color that I want. It really doesn't matter what the temp is when you wrap since the butt is going to keep on cooking anyway. I look for a nice dark brown color and wrap at that point.

Many of the stickburners wrap their butts and briskets because it's easy to oversmoke when cooking completely with wood. When cooking on our offset exclusively with wood, I'll wrap butts and briskets when the color is to my liking, which usually winds up to be about 165 or so - as ron said, though, doesn't matter exactly what temp 'cause it's going to keep cooking anyway, and it'll cook faster once it's in the foil.

I personally don't foil butts OR briskets on the WSMs at all, unless I'm having to try to speed up the cooking session for some reason.

Keri C

I don't foil anything on the WSM either. Get to the temp you want, take it off, THEN foil for 1-3 hours. This is one of the most important steps in proper preparation.

Back