WOW! Stoker WiFi Is Here!!!

My issues with the update were:

Whether I needed to run the .bat or the .exe
Read the instructions in the readme file in the zip folder, these instructions are very clear.

I had trouble trying to figure out which security type to use. WEP Open, WEP Shared or the other one (PSK ??).

My wireless router uses WPA. In the end the last one worked.

I'll be running a long cook tomorrow and see how she goes !!

Hello! I upgraded my Stoker successfully using a laptop running XP and a spare router. My home network is an Apple Time Capsule and my home computers are iMacs. I was able to connect my upgraded Stoker to my Apple network via ethernet, access the <IP Address>/wifi.html page and setup the information, save it and reboot the Stoker. My security type on the router is WPA2 Personal. The list of supported security types on the Stoker are None, WEP Open, WEP Shared and PSK. Are any of these compatible with WPA2 Personal? ANSWER-> PSK works for WPA2 Personal. Thanks!

I believe mine installed the update but it will not connect. I've got a green screener. I might try one more time before I send it in. I get the new "Network" menu and everything looks OK except WiFi IP = all zeros and I can't manually enter any numbers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adam W:
I have it connected on Wifi and up and running, look no ethenet cable

DSC00453.JPG

oh and a picture of my cart, but its not done, I put a pic in the Mods section...

DSC00452.JPG
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adam W, would you care to describe your Pelican case ? A great idea to safely store and use the Stoker !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaveB:
I believe mine installed the update but it will not connect. I've got a green screener. I might try one more time before I send it in. I get the new "Network" menu and everything looks OK except WiFi IP = all zeros and I can't manually enter any numbers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
DaveB, I had the issue. I called Rocks and they walked me thru it. Works perfectly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaveB:
I believe mine installed the update but it will not connect. I've got a green screener. I might try one more time before I send it in. I get the new "Network" menu and everything looks OK except WiFi IP = all zeros and I can't manually enter any numbers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All zeros just means that it hasn't been issued an IP address yet. Did you connect the Stoker via an ethernet cable, use a browser to goto <IP Address>/wifi.html and setup your wireless network settings?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Arita:
So, if I can see Stoker Status on my iPhone via my wifi router, can I see Stoker Status from anywhere? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, probably not. More than likely your home network is a private network (192.168.x.x...) which is not routeable from the internet. However it is possible to set up a dyndns.org-type account and set up port forwarding on your router, but as they say in the tech industry that is beyond the scope of this discussion.

The reason for that is, there are hundreds of different routers out there and mine is undoubtedly different from yours.

Hi Kevin,

Since we're accessing with an IP address, why would location or device be an issue? When my Stoker is connected directly through an ethernet cable, I can access that IP on my Blackberry when I'm out and about. My Black Box isn't back from Rock's yet so I haven't been able to try it but I'm curious to your point. I do remember many posts here back months ago where members noted that others were provided with their IP's and could monitor the host's cook through the IP outside of the home network.

Thanks !

I'm scared to upgrade.....the release notes look like the upgrade disabled JSON functionality....I was thinking about tinkering with that to do some cool app stuff.

A.
Yes, It works fine with the Network cable And I entered the addresses. I'll give Rock,s a call.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron B - NE Ontario, Canada:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adam W:
I have it connected on Wifi and up and running, look no ethenet cable

DSC00453.JPG

oh and a picture of my cart, but its not done, I put a pic in the Mods section...

DSC00452.JPG
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adam W, would you care to describe your Pelican case ? A great idea to safely store and use the Stoker ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, its a pelican 1300 case, it is pretty tight to place the new stoker in upright because of the hood, but if you take your time you can get it to fit. Basically what I did was get some 1/4 stereo jacks, 5 of em and a 5.5mm x 2.5 mm power plug and put them into the case below where I mounted the stoker. Then wired 4 of the 1/4 jacks to a stereo plug, and the last one to the other plug for the fan. Lastly made a power jumper out of the 5.5mm x 2.5mm plugs.

The male 1/4 stereo jacks are 90 degree ones.

As for the wifi, it works great iside the box, I was able to connect at about 75 feet with the router inside my basement and the stoker outside.

I will post a couple more pics in a few minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Arita:
So, do I just enter the ip address in the address bar? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

to view remotely, an easy way is to run stoker log on your home computer, or run stoker's interface on your computer. You can access it remotely by setting up a free program called "logmein" It allows you to log in to your computer from remote via internet. I use it to control/check my stoker while away from home.

Stoker just got back from Rock's for the Firmware update. Did a test and Wifi seems to work with Stoker web interface and StokerLog. I'll try some ribs in a few days and see how that goes.

I have been looking everywhere for some info on the Stoker and can't seem to locate it.

Is it possible with the new Stoker to have only it serve as the host and view it from an iPhone, like at a competition? I don't want to have to have a computer or another wireless router in the mix, just the stoker and an iPhone.

According to Kevin at Rock's Barbque the WiFi Stoker still requires the use of a router. It does not transmit directly to an iPhone.

I sent my greenscreener off to Rock's. Got it back quickly and got it to work. It's 70 degrees on my desk.

Back