Wow - Gotta love the stoker

T Tills

I got my stoker last week, and have been getting everything ready for my first real cooks. First I made a an enclosure to protect it, then I got a wireless bridge, some headphone extension cables, installed stoker log, signed up for twitter....

Oh, and I got a pork shoulder to cook too. (almost forgot that part).

I think Sunday I'll do ribs. And if I can find a packer, that would be another overnight cook for Monday.

I must say I'm impressed. The total geek factor of this device is awesome. I'm walking around the house checking the status on every computer, and on my IPod.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T Tills:
The total geek factor of this device is awesome. I'm walking around the house checking the status on every computer, and on my IPod. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, the geek factor is AWESOME! I check the temp on my BlackBerry when I'm standing next to Stoker and could just as easily look at the Stoker display.

One thing to be aware of: The blower needs to plug directly into the stoker box, not through an extension. I found that the fan kept cycling on and off, and wouldn't go continuous. Emailed Kenny Lee, and he told me the blower uses too much power, and will fry the chip if you use the extension. I made up a custom one with heavier gauge wire, and still had the same problem, so I guess we're stuck with direct for the blower.

question, you're stoker blower will go continuous? for how long? mine cycles on for @ 1 minute and then off. then on, if need be, etc. etc.

When it was plugged in with the extension, it was on 5 seconds, off 5 or 10, on 5, etc. When plugged in direct, it works as yours does, on for about a minute, off, then on. As it gets closer to set temperature, on time is shorter.

@Mitch,
I have more or less the same with my fan extensioncable. I extended it 3ft and with low ambient temps it works fine, with high temps it's unreliable.

Back