WOw factor cost comparision

DennisM

TVWBB Pro
What do you most of you find to be the biggest bang for your buck? I think it depends on the area, but I think ribs are very overpriced and not too affordable for a crowd around here though good..made em tonight on the Wsm..but my biggest wows have been from brisket...even when I made pulled pork with it, and it is very affordable for a bunch of guest.

It really varries for me. For my wife and step kids, like PP. They don't care for brisket or ribs.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Guys at work really like the PP and Chuck Rolls but went nuts over the brisket I brought it last year. Pulled off 2 flats right before going to work at 7:00AM I wrapped them in foil and rested for 4 hrs in a cooler before serving them up. I've done BB's with the Cherry Cola Glaze the last 2 weeks and took the leftovers in and reheated in a oven and got rave reviews from the guys at work. The guys at work are still bugging me to do briskets again. I'm learry because the timming has to be perfect, which it was on the first cook for them but.... I can't be waiting for them to get done and be late for work or they get done early while I'm asleep and be dried out.
icon_frown.gif
For me it's all good but my favorite Low and Slow is Brisket.

Price-wise briskets and pork butts are great values, especially if you buy them on sale and freeze them. I seem to get less waste and trimming from pork butts.

Ribs certainly can be pricey, especially baby backs. Spareribs are cheaper and have more meat. I can frequently get beef ribs really cheap, too. I'm not sure why beef ribs aren't more popular; I love them.

Probably pulled pork and home made bacon, I have only done the bacon once but it was half the price of store bought and everyone was very impressed with it.

Clark

Up here i think sam's club cryo wrapped package of BB ribs is the best deal around. 3 full racks to a package for 21-22 dollars - 7 bucks a rack compared to shopping at wegmans at 3.70 lb. or about 11 dollars a rack. Tops supermarket is about 3.60 lb. Meat markets are a little better than these 2 stores but sams is where i get my needs.

I'm a member at both Sam's and Costco. I also watch the grocery store ads that come out in our Wednesday paper every week. I guess I get more bang for my buck from pulled pork because I can do so many things with the leftovers.

Buckboard bacon is probably closer to ham than bacon. It is very good, though.

Homemade bacon is fantastic. There are a couple of directions you can go with bacon--savory or sweet. Savory works better for using it as a cooking ingredient, while sweet probably works a little better for frying up in strips to eat with breakfast.

The basics are salt and sugar applied and left to cure for a week in the frig, turning daily. Ziplock bags work well for this. In addition, you can add pink salt, fresh herbs, spices or additional sweetener. You would add pink salt if you want to extend the storage time in the frig, but it won't last very long. Dextrose works well for the sweetener as it is less likely to burn when frying strips than white or brown sugar. Garlic, black pepper and fresh thyme or rosemary makes a good savory bacon. Brown sugar or maple syrup makes good sweet bacon.

In terms of ratios, you want about 5 grams salt and 5 grams dextrose per pound of fresh pork belly. If adding pink salt, about half a teaspoon per pound of fresh meat is all you need.

After a week in the cure you want to rinse well under cold water, then trim a small piece and fry it up to test for saltiness. If too salty, soak in cold water changing out for fresh cold water every hour until you get the desired salt level. Then hot smoke until it reaches an internal temp of 150 and chill. You can remove the skin while it is still hot if so desired.

When factoring in cost I think meatloaf is the most bang for the buck. The first time I served smoked meatloaf to the family I got the biggest wow since I started smoking.

Milt if ya wanna add a new twist to your meat loaf. I purchased a high temp pepper jack cheese and add that to my meat balls and meat loaf. Really adds a nice little kick to it and not over powering.

After mixing the meatloaf I put it in a loaf pan lined with parchment paper and then refridgerate for at least one hour. Then I put it directly on the grate without a pan or paper supporting it. After being refridgerated the meatloaf is firm enough to hold its' shape during the cook. When cooking a small loaf for just the family I cook indirectly on my 22.5" kettle.

DennisM I see your in WA. Cash and Carry and Sam's Club both have great deals. Costco has an inferior selection of BBQ cuts, the quality is good they just don't have all the right cuts.

Yes pork shoulder is a bargain as is Chuck roll. Spares are under $2 per pound. Chicken is under a $1 a pound.

A 1 pound serving of Ribs is enough meat for the average person and costs less than a happy meal. Serve two meats and you can cut the rib serving down to a 1/2 pound or 3 bones.

HTH,

Konrad

Back