Would you use moldy wood?

Kirk Boorman

TVWBB Super Fan
A friend has a bunch of cherry that has some type of mold on the outside. Nothing major as it's only on the surface, but I figured I'd get some opinions first. TIA

I would probably chop some up and see how it looks inside. If it looked fine I would just use the insides and cut off the bark.

You could do a test smoke on a chicken wing or something quick and easy to check the flavor.

I know that it hasn't (visibly) penetrated the wood and I can brush off most of what's on the exterior. I've seen this question raised before (on another forum), and the person who started the thread was told it should be OK. I just figured that someone here might have run into this and might be able to give me a definative answer.

I've seen some pieces (cherry) that had very slight sign of mold/mildew on the surface. I used it, no problem. If you're concerned about it, blow-torch the surface (or equivalent flame treatment) before using.

I've used it before without any problem. As long as the mold doesn't penetrate the wood you should be just fine. You may want to preburn the wood for a few minutes just to be safe.

When buring wood with mold on it if you can smell it you will taste it. The amount of mold is the key.
Jim

Back