Would you still cook this shoulder?

FredDeGrandisJr

Got 2 pork shoulders from Costco last Saturday. Last weekend, we prepared one in the traditional Puerto Rican pernil style and the other using the Mr Brown recipe on this site.

We smoked the pernil last weekend and never got around to smoking the Mr Brown shoulder. It has been sitting in my fridge since last Saturday in a 1/2 hotel pan with foil and an expiration date of 4-29.

Do you think that this is safe to use? I dont mind 86ing the shoulder, I just really dont want to get sick.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Not sure...when in doubt, toss it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FredDeGrandisJr:
I dont mind 86ing the shoulder </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There's your answer, IMO...

Well, maybe if you were only wanting to take it to rare or med-rare or something would I think it a problem. For Q you're cooking it completely.

Uncover it and see how it smells and feels. Spoilage bacteria are what cause odors and slime. Though they are not likely to make you sick, cooking won't get rid of off flavors.

Pathogenic bacteria have no odor - but they're the ones that make you sick. If pathogens are present on the meat, cooking will take of them. (If it was already cooked the circumstances would be different.)

The expiration date means nothing.

IMO, when in doubt, toss it out. Especially if you're serving it to children, elderly people, or anyone who may have a compromised immune system. Just a thought . . .

OK, I just read Kevin's post and he has a point - check it for off odors and cook it real good. I would probably still toss it, but then, my hubster says I'm too fussy.

Or gets the facts. Already given. There there is no doubt.

The pork wold be potentially more dangerous were it cooked a week ago, especially if it was handled (like one does for pulling) and especially if it was improperly cooled.

Your nose is your best guide here. If you have any question then of course you should throw it out but the human nose is generally very sensitive to spoiled meat. Your nose will know long before any visual indications will occur.

It is sensitive to spoiled meat, usually, yes. Spoilage bacteria are not likely to make anyone sick though. As noted, they do cause unwanted flavors and textures.

If Mr. Kruger says it's OK, then go for it... I would, especially since you are going low & slow. Here's a post for you to peruse... hope it helps!

I do not want to make things more complicated, and there might be differences between Scandinavia and the US- but the meat has been stored with the spices on for a week?

I'd say toss it. Spices are usually quite high in bacteria content, as well as other unwanted additons as small insects, bird droppings and numeorus types of bacteria.
So, in short, to use a piece of meat treated with spices for a whole week- not quite safe. It the meat was properly handled and stored and untreated, well, as Mr Kruger says use your nose.
If the conditions of spices are the same in the US as here, I would be very careful. The spices are much more "dirty" than the meat itself.

Since the law stopped the practice to treat the spices here in Norway with radioactivity, the number of people getting sick and poisened with salmonella has risen to new hights, but statistically the numbers are microscopic compared to the rest of the world.
The tragedy is that most victims are small children.
Almost all cases can be traced back to the spices, such as black pepper. We have no salmonella whatsoever in poultry, eggs, or any other meat.

I'm sorry but that is jejune. Barring any other info, fine. But (one would assume) the query was posted because the OP wanted info. If he didn't he could have, yes, just pitched it. Utterly a waste of food, but, oh well. But he asked. To simply respond with a cliché is not providing information - it is merely catering to untoward fear. I don't really get that.

If, Geir, Salmonella is an issue is Norway (it is in many places) it is not from spices that are cooked. Salmonella is heat labile - meaning it succubms to heat - heat kills it. If there would be an issue with the spice on the meat in the OP's query it would not be Salmonella - it would be Bacillus cereus, a common pathogen on spices (and rice and pasta, et al.). If the refigerator performed as they usually do - were there not temp issues due to the fridge - there would be no outgrowth of B. cereus. Cooking would handle any pathogens that might be present. No other food pathogens would grown in sufficient quantities at fridge temps that cooking couldn't take care of.

Regarding the Salmonella- my memory failed me. it was not salmonella, but e-coli bacteria. This was back in 2006, wherw 18 people got sick, and one small boy died.

As usual, mr Kruger is right.

LOL Dale!

Yeah, Geir, we have issues with E. coli here too, periodically. Usually it's less-than-cooked ground beef; more recently with bagged fresh spinach, possibly the result of runoff from nearby ranches.

The 'good' thing about E. coli: it's also heat labile.

Back