Would you pay $60 for a hamburger? *****

i understand. so what would you say makes the best tasting hamburger if you ground yourself or had a specific request to have some ground? ....and what the heck is the full name of that big "chuck" i seen in toby's link.

I'd say the proper ratio of fat to lean meat, and chuck has a good beefy flavor. If I were to get carried away, I'd get some nice choice or prime skirt steak, and grind it with some well marbled chuck or simply fat trimmings for a great burger.

I'd find a client or prospect who was interested in a $60 burger, take him/her there and put it on my expense account
icon_wink.gif

But seriously, I find the GARLIC BURGERS I make out of 20% fat ground chuck to be some of the best burgers around. Did these last weekend on Ed C's Bar-B-Chef. What a great grill, look at those sear marks! However I wouldn't mind doing some Kobe beef burgers sometime.

so sorry but im now assuming no one knows the full name of the "chuck" cut so i could buy some eh? lol. thanks one more time, and im just kidding around. but i've seen chuck eye steaks, chuck shoulder roast, chuck blade 9or some darn thing).. etc. etc. whats the way to go? im assuming not the roast, but i don't know of anything else. I looked at meat charts just now and not sure what im looking at. thanks.

Kevin would be the guy to ask. I bet he will have a better answer for you. I'm still looking at the cow map things in books and magazines that break things down into regions.

Originally posted by Dan H.:
so sorry but im now assuming no one knows the full name of the "chuck" cut so i could buy some eh? lol. thanks one more time, and im just kidding around. but i've seen chuck eye steaks, chuck shoulder roast, chuck blade 9or some darn thing).. etc. etc. whats the way to go? im assuming not the roast, but i don't know of anything else. I looked at meat charts just now and not sure what im looking at. thanks.
I buy a boneless chuck roast, 3-4 lbs or as close as the store has, and I have the roast ground in the store. If the store cant/wont grind I go elsewhere. That way I know I'm not getting meat that was laying around too long after it was ground. I'm not into grinding my own. These roasts go by different names, but I think any chuck roast will do. Here it's usually called "underblade roast" Chuck IMO really does make the best burgers. The fat is key to flavor HTH
Dave

thanks a million dave, im going to do this tonight, and if no one is down there in the meat dep. then i'll do tomarrow. thanks also Tom. and yes, underblade was what that name was. much appreciated. the more i read this the more i wanted to master a bad-a$$ burger. I can make a good one but only with the reg. hamburger and have wanted to change for a while.

Just a few points, just in case. The grill needs to be hot 450-500-550 is not too hot. The grill needs to be brushed off. Make the burgers 3/4 - 1" thick. Sear for 4-5 minutes and don't force the burger when flipping. When the first side is seared, the burger should just roll over for you. Otherwise it'll stick and you'll lose some meat on the grate. You got a real craving for a burger? hahahaha. go to it

I look at it from this perspective. I can have this 1 hamburger for $60.00, or I can have the Ruth's Chris Summer Celebration meal for 2 people for $89.00. Seems like a no brainer to me!

Just remember to season the meat with salt and pepper mixed in loosely. The salt will definitely help bring out the flavors that might otherwise be bland.

Originally posted by Mark Davis:
My local meat market today had brisket burgers...grillin em up tomorrow. Will update.

Wow, if you've never had a brisket burger.. I can really reccomend it. It crisped up nicely over high heat and literally sealed in ALL the juices. Flavor was awesome.

no-way especially from ruby tues. Ruby Tuesdays stinks from my last visit- was very overly rated indeed. I've had better from Checker's or Rally's on the 2 for 4 dolla' menu!

I've never been to a Ruby Tuesdays. For me, a lot of those big chain type restaurants just come across as a place that uses frozen pre made food, and overly processed ingredients. I know some do, some don't.

But what I'm thinking of when I am thinking about being willing to plop down $60 for a burger, is I want to have one highly skilled mind, using the highest quality most exotic ingredients to craft me a truly memorable feast.

It would help if the place has a little atmosphere, not paper napkins.

I haven't had a burger in eons but I'd pay $60 if it seemed like $60 worth of ingredients and thought went into it and the ambience/comfort of the place serving it was right. It is fairly often my dinner check is twice that so I guess it isn't a big deal to me, provided I thought it would meet or exceed criteria/expectations noted.

Dan-- 'Chuck' simply means shoulder. Most cuts of the chuck make excellent burgers. Far better than cuts from the round (too lean) and, imo, better than sirloin.

Don't miss burgers made with brisket point though. (A bazillion years ago, we used to braise brisket flats as a menu item, the point was ground for burgers. Bryan S recently posted about point burger as well. Great flavor and texture.)

Is the point fatty enough to use it exclusively? It sure sounds like a good use for the point when doing a brisket cook.

this may be a stupid question, but is it to much to ask your butcher to do this for you, and yes, I was willing to pay or whatever but have been refused twice now???..... maybe this is normal?? Hopefully, surely not. No matter the answere im not impressed at all. One from safeway, the other from my local store. I guess next stop is a meat grinder. im fairly mad about this but maybe not rightfully so. oh well. and also what would bring about a chuckle when I asked him if I could get --- lbs. of chuck roast ground? whos dumb here, me or them?

Yup, Tom, should be fatty enough if the brisket is of decent quality and not trimmed.

Dan, Safeway isn't a butcher's shop, it's a store with a meat department with employees. A butcher would have no issue with grinding your meat for you.

Though I prefer a meat grinder you can use a processor. Cube the meat, partially freeze, 'grind' in smaller quantities till halfway there, periodically scraping down the sides of the bowl, partially freeze again, finish in small quantities in the same way, till the texture you seek. A grinder is easier but a processor works.

Back