Worse brisket ever! Bumbed out big time :(

Bob Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Oh well, Today I cooked my worst brisket ever.
icon_frown.gif
I don't have any idea what went wrong. I have been overnight cooking briskets since I got my WSM over two years ago, and todays was worse than the first one I ever did.

The flat was dry and a bit rubbery, also didn't get much smoke ring. The point was ok if a bit rubbery.

The cook went pretty much according to all my others. The biggest difference was that it took forever for the smoker to get up to temp. I use the minion method along with the Brinkman charcoal pan for water. My load of hot coals was ready right around 9:30 PM. I placed them on the smoker and then assembled the smoker and used hot water in the pan. For some reason it was almost midnight before it got to 250° in the dome, usually it is ready for me in about an hour and half. Once I got the meat on and the smoker back up to temp, it held really well between 230° and 245°, didn't have to play with the dampers much throughout the night and kept the water pan nice and full. I pulled it at 2:30 this afternoon at 188° and held it in the cooler til 4:00 then I let it set out til the meat cooled to 150° at which point I sliced the flat and pulled the point.

My wife's comment on this cook was to place her finger down her throat with a gagging noise after dinner when the kids weren't loooking.

All I can be thankful for is that I wasn't cooking this one for anyone but the wife and kids.

It is ironic though, last weekend I cooked one for my son's hockey team's post season party. That one was the best brisket I have ever done.

Thanks for the reply guys.
I went ahead and pulled the point and mixed it with a heavy helping of BBQ sauce, which took care of that. Then I chopped up the flat and used it to make chili. It worked out ok. It's just a bummer.

Back