world series of gambling, indeterminate cooking time

Jeff Davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
Folks,

I try to get together each year with college friends for the world series of gambling. This consists of 8-9 of us going to two horse tracks and playing poker until dawn. Winner of each event gets 8 points, 2nd gets 7 and so on, person with most points wins.

Its impossible to lose more than $60, so its not exactly high stakes...its really all about bragging rights and the right to wear the cheesy crown for a year...and adding to the legend of crown. High school classes have been taught while wearing the crown, its been worn by an usher at a wedding...its hard to top one of my friends claims of having conceived his third child while wearing the crown. (I see his wife in a whole new light now.)

Anyhow, I agreed to haul my wsm to the event this year. I get to my friends house around 11am and we leave for the first event around noon. I`d guess we will get back around 7pm but it could be later...say 9pm. I bought a guru on ebay a while ago, so I can control temps. I am not entirely sure I like the guru but thats fodder for another thread.

So what to cook? Pork butt is forgiving but I don`t think I have enough time for it. Brisket can dry out and again, I don`t think I have enough time for it. I`m thinking about baby backs at 210 or possibly spares. I`d love to throw a chicken on too but the cook is too long.

Suggestions?

That's interesting - 7 hour cook time is a little odd - too long to be short and too short to be long. You could go with smaller butts and foil for an hour when you get back, if necessary, assuming your group can wait that long. Spare ribs from Sams, the big ones, probably would fit the 7 hour cook time without drying out. Even at low/slow, that's too long for chicken ... ?

Maybe you'll get some better ideas from others.

Paul

If it was my choice I would cook a butt the day or so before and pull it when it is cooked, throw the pulled pork into an aluminum tray with a little sauce or apple juice then get 3 1/2 and down spare ribs and probably enough for 1/2 a rack each.

Prep your ribs the night before, and roll them and stick them in Ziploc’s, let them marinate over night in your fridge.

When you get to your friends, set your wsm up and fire it with a 1/2 - 2/3 Minion load, a couple of chunks of apple or cherry for some smoke, use rib racks if you have them, give a last sprinkle of rub just before you put the ribs in the racks.

Go out for the day, when you get back take the ribs off the wsm and put the pulled pork in its aluminum pan on the top rack and let that heat as you are all devouring the ribs.

Remember to take extra Ziplocs to let everyone have a doggie bag to give their families a taste too, you never know how many may be getting wsm's for Xmas if you do.
icon_wink.gif

thanks folks, I ended up cooking 5 racks of baby backs. Got them on by noon at 210 with guru. Back at 6:30, tried one and decided to pump up the temp to 250.

An hour later we were eating. btw, I'm starting to *really* like sweet baby rays bbq sauce. It's now available at BJs around here. Nice compliment to a spicy rub.

Back