Workaround when your ISP blocks port 80?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
Ken,

You should be able to use your bridge just as you are now I would think. It's all based on standard protocol right? I would flash your primary router with the latest DD-WRT anyway though. I'm using v23 myself.

I lied about the game adapter it seems. I paid about $40 shipped. Here are some current listings:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=WGA54G

-rob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gave up on that a long time ago and hard wired it. I used the bridge for about a year, cursed it soundly every other time. Now totally hassle free, on the Stoker anyway.

Still no joy here guys. I upgraded the firmware on my primary router to dd-wrt, and was able to port forward/translate from the port I wanted to use to skirt Cox's block to port 80 (port 8081) to port 80.

Just like before, I am able to access the stoker when using a device that is connected to my network using the external IP and the workaround port (8081).

I was even able to test it and it worked just fine using a device connected to the network. I entered the external IP address, xx.xxx.xx.xx:8081 and the stoker reports back as expected. But if I attempt to do so using another machine only connected to the internet, it does not work.

So I know the translation feature is working correctly, and I have verified my external IP address as well. I am suspecting that I have to change something in the firewall settings, but not sure. I have even changed a few settings used to block external WAN requests.

Any ideas?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard K:
Still no joy here guys. I upgraded the firmware on my primary router to dd-wrt, and was able to port forward/translate from the port I wanted to use to skirt Cox's block to port 80 (port 8081) to port 80.

Just like before, I am able to access the stoker when using a device that is connected to my network using the external IP and the workaround port (8081).

I was even able to test it and it worked just fine using a device connected to the network. I entered the external IP address, xx.xxx.xx.xx:8081 and the stoker reports back as expected. But if I attempt to do so using another machine only connected to the internet, it does not work.

So I know the translation feature is working correctly, and I have verified my external IP address as well. I am suspecting that I have to change something in the firewall settings, but not sure. I have even changed a few settings used to block external WAN requests.

Any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make Sure you forward both ports, 8081 and 80 to the stoker IP. Also, make sure your stoker isn't setup as a static IP address. Your Router need to assign this IP before it will forward to it. (This is true of the stoker only, computers seem unaffected by this)

Also make sure remote access to the router is turned off, it is most likely set to 8081 if it's on, but using https . Won't hurt to try if all else fails.

Ken:

Thanks for your reply. Am I wrong about this thought? If I can access the Stoker when connected to my home network using either the port 80 or port 8081, then my router settings with regard to the the IP address must be correct, right?

Just to respond to your ideas (an believe me I do appreciate them), I have both port 80 and 8081 forwarded to the Stoker. I am using a static IP address, but it works fine so long as the machine I am using to access it is connected to my home network. Remote access to the router is disabled for port 8080 (that's why I picked port 8081).

What am I missing or misunderstanding? It seems to me that if I can connect to the stoker when on the network, my problem must be with some kind of filter or firewall on the router (or at my ISP) that blocks the request when it originates on the internet. Does that make sense?

Thanks again for your reply, and all help getting this sorted out.

Richard

Richard,

In theory it sounds like everything should work. Did you try disabling the static IP address as Ken suggests?

Ken, what is the deal with static vs. dynamic on the stoker? As long as that IP/MAC address is reserved it should work either way no? Do you know something I don't?

-rob

I did not try disabling the static IP address since the communication works fine while on the network. I guess I could try that, but can't for the life of me understand why that would work when this won't.

I was a little afraid to try the DHCP method for fear that I would change something and not be able to get it to go back to working the other way. Additionally, the read me for version of dd-wrt that I am running on my bridge mentions that DHCP won't work across the bridged connection (or something like that).

I am at a loss, but know that I am close to getting this thing fully operational.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard K:
I did not try disabling the static IP address since the communication works fine while on the network. I guess I could try that, but can't for the life of me understand why that would work when this won't.

I was a little afraid to try the DHCP method for fear that I would change something and not be able to get it to go back to working the other way. Additionally, the read me for version of dd-wrt that I am running on my bridge mentions that DHCP won't work across the bridged connection (or something like that).

I am at a loss, but know that I am close to getting this thing fully operational. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I too made that assumption and a few more to boot, I even had a heated argument with the tech at comcast. While what I'm telling you makes no sense, it is still true. At least in my case, and with at least 3 different routers. At least give it a shot. If you router suppost IP reservations, then it's not even a small deal.

This is also the problem I've run into, and I'm looking forward to giving some of these tips a try. I'm really happy I came across this page, because I was starting to go nuts after thinking of new ways to fix the problem (at least I've learned a lot of stuff I never knew about routers and so forth!) I can't stomach it today, but over the next few days I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I'm on Comcast here, so Ken I'll give your method a shot first and then work from there. My router is within my Time Capsule, so I don't think I can do much with DD-WRT.

I think I know what is going on here based on Ken's solution. There is no way to set the default gateway on the Stoker when setting a static IP. There are only options for IP and netmask. So although you can hit it from an external host it does not where to send the response.

It would seem the only way to set the default gateway is through DHCP as Ken suggests.

I'm wondering if there are any diagnostics in the firmware that you could run from a telnet console. I once knew the UID/PWD to get in. I think it's root/tini.

-rob

Interesting. Thanks for the thoughts.
I've been having the stoker get the IP automatically from my router, which doesn't seem to fix my issue - although I think I have the other settings right, who knows. I have both public ports 8081 and 80 getting mapped to my private port 80, and when I type in myrouterip:8081 or myrouterip:80 or myrouterip I get taken to the stoker page, but only when using a device connected to my network. (When I type in the stoker's direct IP address I get there too, but of course only when connected to my network). A puzzle.
The netmask is set to 255.255.255.000. I tried 255.255.254.000 (an address I saw on my Time Capsule) and it seemed to work the same.

It seems the firmware developer was quite busy last year fixing some bugs. One of the bugs listed:

"July 21, 2009

More info for Twitter support on the Stoker.
Tweets will only work if you are using DHCP on the Stoker. The reason is there are bugs in using static IP addresses where the user cannot specify the gateway IP or the DNS IP addresses. Until this is fixed, the only way to set these values is to use DHCP."

The firware releases are on:
Kaytat Software

-rob

Setting default gateway can be done by telnetting into the stoker and using the ipconfig command. Although it's not ideal it should work. It's all in here: Stoker Telnet Commands

you can use the ipconfig -x command to show all interface information.

-rob

Rob, it looks like you're right on the money. Thanks for pointing that out (and you were even right with the login info!).

When I logged in, the ip and subnet were as expected, but the IPv4 Gateway was listed as 0.0.0.0 even though I've been having the Stoker get the ip through DHCP. Apparently it wasn't getting the gateway info.

To ask another question (just in case I haven't asked enough!) how do I find out what to put in for the gateway? I'm guessing it shouldn't be 0.0.0.0

Thanks again for the help Rob. Hopefully I'll be able to help you with an issue down the road!

The gateway address would be the IP address of your router on it's private interface. In most cases it's 192.168.1.1 but you can check this by going to a computer and typing IPCONFIG at the command prompt. All computers on your private network should have the same default gateway and subnet mask.

-rob

Rob, you know your stuff. Changing the gateway did the trick! I'm really happy that I got this working, and thanks so much for the help.

Interestingly, my attempt to change the gateway didn't take the first three times, but the fourth it did. I'm afraid to shut the Stoker off, but now I know. Again, thank you very much!

Excellent!

I often find that sometimes just changing the settings on the Stoker doesn't work. For some settings, particularly IP stuff, you'll need to save to the database and cycle the power to get it to work. I racked my head against the wall figuring that out for the videos.

It's nice to know that my Cisco training is still in the back of my head somewhere
icon_smile.gif

-rob

Really, thanks again for the help. I would have never been able to figure that one out. And I probably wouldn't have gotten as close either without your videos to start with.

Now to use it!

Back