Wood Types

Clark Deutscher

TVWBB All-Star
I am looking to order in wood. I have read all about the different flavors of the different woods on the board. What I'm wondering is do most of you just use the wood that is local (free) or do you bring in the different varities? I only have experience with a few being mesquitte, hickory, apple, alder, oak, and pear. Also what is your most commonly used type of wood? I don't want to bring in a bunch of something and have it go bad in the garage! Thanks

Clark

You have a good selection already.

I use citrus woods a lot (free, local) and I use cherry, apple, pear, alder and hickory (free, from Conn). I purchase pecan (for many sausages), sassafras (pellets, for most bacon), and grapevine (lamb). Mesquite I buy but it takes me a long time to go through it. I dislike it for smoking, only using it to grill over, sometimes. On the road, and locally, I find (free) the odd other wood--fig, guava, peach, etc.

Clark,
By far I use hickory the most, followed by apple and cherry. I don't really care much for mesquitte. When I lived in south Texas the locals thought that was a marketing trick to make a profit out of a scrub tree not much good for anything else.

Don

Toys:
Webber Kettle
WSM
Vermont Castings 4 burner

Thanks Kevin,

Have you ever used Kiawe (is it almost the same as mesquitte or should I try to track it down?). I make Kalua pig often. Also do you have any thoughts or experience with Maple or Ash? Thanks

Clark

Kiawe and mesquite are of the same genus but not the same species. I've sampled the lump (which was okay) and the wood (not quite like mesquite but I wasn't thrilled with it). It's not one I'd seek for myself.

Sugar maple I quite like, especially on some fresh hams and for butt. It isn't one I've purchased (I keep thinking I'll score some up north but haven't as yet) but would certainly consider.

Do you have a fellow smoker in the area you could split any purchases with? That way you'll have less to use up.

Unfortunately I don't. I'm in a town of 1200 and the next closest civilization is a small city two hours away! the maple I was looking at was the sugar maple so I will get some of that and some cherry. Still not 100% sure on the ash yet. Thanks for all the info.

Clark

Ah, yes, the ash: not a fan. But someone else with more experience with it might weign in with other thoughts. I found it a kind of light 'woody' smoke and never bothered with it again.

Free wood is good wood. Even in BC, you've got apple, apricot, peach, fig, hazelnut, pear, plum, maple, and alder growing all around you. After a wind storm or when someone's pruning their orchard, grab it!! Let it dry a year or 2 and burn it happily.

My $0.02.

Hey Clark,

Nice Roughies logo. I am going to have to add a BC logo to my picture
icon_smile.gif

I recently bought 25lbs of Sugar Maple and 25lbs of Red Oak from http://www.smokinlicious.ca/

I have tried both types and they are both great.I am particu;arly fond of the red oak as it is scarce here on the West Coast.

Probably will try the white oak next.

Hey Kurtis glad you like the roughies logo, I'm still a Regina boy at heart! I enjoyed the game against those good old lions a few weeks ago! Sure it was your third string qb and we won't talk about last years playoffs but.....Anyways I've been looking at smokinlicious for a while. Were you happy with the quality? What kind of packaging did it come in?

Brian, pecan is definately on my must do list, I'm just going to have to track some down! Have a good night folks!

Clark

When was the last time you won the cup?
icon_smile.gif

Product quality from Smokinlicious was excellent...just as advertised on their website. Wood came in a cardboard box. Inside the box, the wood was in a plastic bag with product literature and a moisture absorbent pad. For the price I paid to have it shipped right to my door and the product quality, I thought it was extremely good value. Some of the red oak I received was quite moldy as the red oak contains a fair bit of moisture anyways and it was very hot at the time back east. I sent them photos and they sent me out an additional 12 lb box straight away at no charge. Very classy.

Hey Kurtis....1989! Great year it was. Hope you enjoyed the game last night, the Roughies are going to take first place tonight!

I am going to order from them tonight. Roughly how long did it take to get to your neck of the woods? Also how long does 25 pounds last you? Thanks for the input!

Clark

Really liked the game last night. Very entertaining. From receipt of order to my house was about 10 days. 25 lbs will last me a long time because I use so many different woods other than red oak & sugar maple.

What are the chances of me doing a road trip to mooch off of you "Q"? Where you are living now is certainly an upgrade from Regina.

Good talkin to ya!

I am not a fan of hickory since I oversmoked some ribs some years ago. My staples are oak and cherry. Which works out nice as oak and cherry are staples growing in the area. I love pecan. I have to buy that though so I don't use as much as I could.
icon_biggrin.gif
I like sugarmaple real well along with apple. The only thing I use mesquite on smoking is large cuts like brisket and butt. I think the strong wood goes well on the large cuts. Mesquite goes well on potato.

We have a lot of wild grape vine in the woods around here. I like to use that on pork. My favorite is the Jack Daniels pellets. Very sweet smoke. They are great in the smoker or in the grill.

I got some others out in the shed but haven't had a chance to use them yet. Pear, Sassafrass, Alder, and peach. Oh, almost forgot I just cut up some beech a few months ago. I cut some half inch slices to use on a meatloaf burn. I figure that is the cheapest thing I can make. I would hate to pay for a big roast and not like it after it is smoked.

I agree with using what is available to you locally, which usually implies less expensive to free. I use a lot of pecan, live oak and red oak; all of which are free to me. I also stock cherry, apple, alder and hickory for certain meats. I always use cherry and apple with turkey. Experiment and see what you like!

Hey Kurtis, just watching the Riders now, pretty happy at half time!

I placed the order with smokinlicious today so hopefuly it goes well.

Anytime you're coming out fire me off an email, we'll definately get you some food, maybe even take you surfing...

Back