wood question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have some new oak floor scraps that I am thinking of burning in my smoker, does anyone know if these boards are treated with anything, or if they are safe to use. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

If I don't know where it has been or what has been done to it between the tree and me, I don't use it.

I found this information on a website that has a ton of info on lump charcoal. This is a comment from Cowboy brand charcoal about their product:
"The wood that we use comes from the lumber industry in Kentucky. However, I assure you that none of it has been treated or has any chemicals on it. Much of the wood that we aquire (sic) is conserved from the kiln dried lumber industry. Much of this product is further processed into tounge (sic) and groove flooring material. Most of our raw material stream comes from the process before it is routed. However, occasionally a piece is rejected after it grooved and joins our raw material stream. Some flooring manufacturers are now prevarnishing their product. However, none of the mills that we resource (sic) from offer this product and no varish (sic) is used in their proccesses."
I would be concerned if this wood has been treated or not. I would not use it.

James,
If what you have is your basic raw wood, unfinished, tongue and groove flooring that is hand nailed, not glued, then you have nothing to worry about. Most of it comes in random lengths and is 2-1/2" in width and 3/4" thick. I'm still using up ends from a floor I installed several years ago.

Thanks for all the input. I will check with the installer asap. I hope its ok to use because I've got plenty. Where do you get your wood? All I can find in the stores around here are hickory and mesquite. I will check my local orchard this week but where do you get cherry? Once again thanks everyone.
Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back