Wood Pellets

Robb Douglas

I'm going to try some BBQ Delight wood pellets and need some information from anyone using this product. First how many pouches would you use for brisket or pork butt? Second would the Jack Daniels pellets be a good choice for brisket or should I stick with the old hickory and cherry combo? Opinions
appreciated.

Some folks around here are more experienced then I with these, so I'd defer to them.

However, I've made decent BBQ using 3-4 packets pork butt and briskt, and 2-3 for ribs/chix.

Use about 1/3 cup of pellets in each packet. That'll give you 30 minutes smoke time.

JD is a great choice for brisket. I think Candy Sue won at the Jack with it.

I really enjoyed my packet of Jack Daniels pellets I got for Christmas. Got enough for one more good smoke too. It mixes well with the other woods I have.

Aloha,

Greg

The J.D. pellets are great! I saw them at Wall Mart last year, but the label looked a little different if I remember right. I read some of the label, and it looked like it was from the same place.
I have pellets sitting around that I need to use, they are getting old. I just never remember to get them ready and put them in.
icon_eek.gif

I've used Jack on everything with great results.
Four packs for butt, 5 even if you like a lot of smoke flavor. Remember, a small hole will do it, or you'll have about 10 minutes worth of smoke instead of 1/2 hour lol.

The pellets I got are made from the charcoal used to filter the whiskey so I imagine they will last awhile. Smells like whiskey when burning. I like 'em. My pellets came in a plastic bag so I just dump it it loosly. Is there a better way?

Greg

Greg,

My bag said to cut a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Fold in 1/2 to make a 6x6 sheet, and fold 3 sides to make a pouch. Fold the edges 2 times to make sure they seal. Fill pouch with 1/3 cup of pellets. Double fold the opening to seal. Punch a SMALL hole in one side only. Place the pouch on or above the heat source, hole side up. Smoke away!

Another method is to use the tins that Altoid mints come in. Place the pellets in the empty tin, close it, and poke a few holes in the top of the tin. Place the tin on the coals and you're all set.

My favorite is the JD pellets. I like to put a pouch on just about everything. I usually just replace one chunk of wood with a pouch of pellets. I usually use 6 chunks on the big cooks. Look on their website they explain with pictures how to make the pouch and the altoid can. I use only one hole like it says on their site.

As far as how many it is personal preference. I use 5 or 6 chunks on the big cooks and ribs. I go by suggestions or recipes on the site for other things.

I done a butt over brisket a while back and put 2 pouches of JD and 4 chunks of other wood and it was excellent. Those pellets give a distinct yet sweet flavor. MMMMM Ok now you are making me hungry.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Note if you go the altoids route I would suggest putting the tin on top of a chimney of coals to burn off the paint.

If your going to use Jack Daniels pellets and plan to soak them in water please pour the water out if you have pets around.

I have several cats and had my pellets soaking in a small tub next to my WSM. I came out the door to check the WSM I saw a couple of the younger cats laying flat on their backs like a human, sound asleep snoring up a srorm. As I crossed the deck the older cat that was laying at the other end got up and tried to come toward me but kept walking off toward the side. I had to stop and ask , what the heck is wrong with these cats?

It hit me, they had been in the pellet water. Those cats were drunk as a skunk.

Ever since that day when ever I get the WSM ready the cats come running and stay around hoping I'll put some water out.

Back