Wood Pellets vs Wood chunks

Bill M.

TVWBB Member
I just received my 3 free samples of wood pellets from BBQ Delight and can't wait to try them out. I was wondering what other people had found from using these samples. Do you prefer pellets or chunks and why? Is there a cost difference, is it a matter of convenience to use one over the other, and more importantly is there a difference in taste?

Bill, there definitely is a difference in taste, which would explain all of the different pellet flavors. I used the samples that I had recieved and found they don't have as strong of a smoke flavor as wood chunks. You could probably add more pellets or additional packets buried in the coals as others have done. I don't think they are either more convinent or more of trouble than wood chunks. Foil and throw on coals and your good to go. Same as chunks. I'll probably order some more pellets just for there unusual flavors that I can't get around here. But I have used apple and peach with great results and I can get plenty of that around here for nothing. But as always, just my $0.02 worth. Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick P.:
Bill, there definitely is a difference in taste, which would explain all of the different pellet flavors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply Nick. After reading your response, I saw that my initial question wasn't very specific.

When I asked if there was a difference in taste, I meant between wood chunks and pellets of the same wood (ie. apple wood chunks vs apple pellets). Not between pellets of different "flavors."

Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for your response.

I've never experienced a different taste. Same wood, same tree, same taste. Athough the chunks usually make the taste stronger and I'm that's because they burn through the entire smoke because of their size. I have a heckuva time finding much variety where I am. The only chunks I find are Mesquite and Hickory. Everything else is chips or pellets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt Faery:
I've never experienced a different taste. Same wood, same tree, same taste. Athough the chunks usually make the taste stronger and I'm that's because they burn through the entire smoke because of their size. I have a heckuva time finding much variety where I am. The only chunks I find are Mesquite and Hickory. Everything else is chips or pellets. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heck Matt, I have a great local BBQ store here. If you need any kind of wood(chunks) send me an email at kaoticnew @ hotmail.com. I'll surely send them to you at cost.

Apple, Cherry, Orange, Maple and the others are worth it. Different kinds of meat need the mellow, especially fish and some poultry.
icon_smile.gif

Oh! I almost forgot. I definately like the chunks better. To me it seems that I need way more pellets than expected to cause the same taste and sensation. I've cooked with pellets, wet wood, logs...etc, etc,...and I'll stick with chunks. It's just a preference I'm sure.

BF

I may take you up on the offer. I'm going to expand my radius out here a little bit and try to find something local. If not I'll blitz you and email and work something out. Thanks

Hey Matt, Here's a list of BBQ's Galore in California, there's probably one not too far from you. They've got a great selection of smoke woods and all sorts of other goodies.

My 3 samples arrived just after Xmas along with the ET-73 (via my folks in Pasadena via my mother-outlaw in the North of England) I haven't used them yet, but I'm led to believe there is filler wood in the pellets (some percentage of oak along with the other wood. I'll compare the cherry pellets to the cherry wood I have and post back if there seems to be a noticeable taste difference. I can tell the difference in smell as it burns (between apple and cherry), but I can't say I could tell the difference in the taste of the food.

Matt,
I used to stop at an orchard in Banning if I was on the 10 if that helps at all. And Julian has tons of apple and pear orchards, it's a bit far but it's a nice drive too.

morgan

Back