Wood pellets method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Mengel

TVWBB Fan
I've read that I'll get 30 min of smoke wrapping pellets in foil and poking 1 hole in the foil. I'm wondering if I keep tossing in foil packs after a few will they smother out the coals? How is everyone going to use their pellets?

Bill, remove the 'used' foil packet with tongs when you throw in the new one. I'm thinking about buying the cast iron 'pot' that BBQr's Delight sales. Supposed to get up to an hour(s) worth of smoke using it.

You can prolly pick up a cast iron incense burner somewhere (Pier 1 Imports?), and that would maybe work fine too.

I think the BBQ pellet people sell 'em, too.

Ah, how 'bout one of those cast iron (cast aluminum?) campfire sandwich cookers from camping supplies at your local discount megamart and just remove the handle?

Or cut 1/2 the handle off and bend the rest so you still have one for inserting/removing it from WSM ... might try that for my pellets

Pick the old pack out. Now why couldn't I have thought of something like that. Mengel slaps head. Anyone use these on a butt? if so how much/ long do you keep adding for some good smokey pork?

I used my sample pellets for the Thanksgiving bird and used the foil packet method. With mixed results. Not with the pellets themselve, but I didn't like the foil packet method. I did the 6x6 enevelope package and poked the single hole in the top and it smoked just fine. The problem was with the temperature control. I have not once ever had a problem with getting up to temp or maintaining a temperature once I get to the desired heat. However, I fought and fought with my WSM for the first time while the foil package was in the cooker. Once I removed the package, my temp shot up and maintained fine throughout the rest of the cook. My conclusion..........the pellets are great, however before using them again I am getting the cast iron pot. I feel the foil package does just enough to hamper airflow and is more of a nuisance than an aid to the cook. Has anyone else had this problem?

I used two packets for my bird. Cooked at 335-340 the whole time. Threw in a third once the turkey came off to smoke some mushrooms for Doug's dip (dampered down). I didn't experience any temp issues. What temp were you shooting for, Larry?

6 x 6 sounds awfully large for a foil pellet packet. I've been using these things for several years now, and have had great results. Try making a smaller packet, say, the size of a cigarette pack at the VERY largest. The pellets don't have to be spread out in the packet at all. That sandwich maker would be WAY too big to use for pellets in a WSM, I think. When you add another pellet packet to the smoker, I'd take the 1st one out, if you can reach it. I have a huge pair of tongs that came with a Sabatier BBQ set that I only use for digging around in the charcoal ring and fire box -
B00005YY9S.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The little pellet pot that BBQrs Delight makes is available at Albertson's supermarkets around these parts. It's a little thing - I started to order one from Candy before I realized that Albertson's had them, but I've put off. The foil packets have done the job so well for me that I just keep using them.

If I want more smoke that one packet provides during a long MM cook, I like to bury another packet or a chunk or so down in the unlit charcoal. That way, I get intermittant smoke without have to dig around in the coals.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>6 x 6 sounds awfully large for a foil pellet packet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Keri, I concur! But that is what the instructions said that were provided! I am definitely not going to let this deter me from using the pellets!! I definitely liked the flavor they produced! I like your idea of the packet the size of a cigarette pack. Gonna use the cherry pellets tomorrow for some chicken thighs, and will definitely use the smaller package.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Larry, wouldn't putting a pot in there do the same thing as the foil packet...or is it that surface area thing?!?! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Greg, the pot is much smaller than the packet I had in the cooker!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What temp were you shooting for, Larry? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Kevin, I do them at 250*. I think the bottomline is my packet was too large. Gonna take Keri's advice and make it about half the size tomorrow.

Has anyone ever tried to make the pouch like you would make a chinese dumpling??
icon_confused.gif

Has anybody tried using more pellets than they recomend for longer smoke? Instead of throwing 2 or 3 packets on at different times, 1 pack with more pellets? Just a thought. I used 1 of my sample packs on the gasser last week with chicken thighs (Sugar Maple). They were fantastic! Thanks again Keri for the info!

Nick P.

I used 1/3 cup plus half a handfull of Sugar Maple pellets on a turkey breast for Thanksgiving (Actually did 2 separate cooks this way with same results). Double layer of foil with the 1/3 cup in the middle. Pulled the corners up, then the sides and loosely crimped into a flat pouch. Put the pouch on after putting the breast on, then threw the half handfull in on the lump. I had wonderful flavor and a good 1" of smokering. For me, this was the perfect amount of smoke.
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back