Wood mixes

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
Anybody ever try a mix of apple and pecan for a pork butt? I'm cooking a pork butt and some chickens, and looking to find a combination for both meats. Always enjoyed the sweet taste that pecan brings, thought apple would balance out its sweetness and give it a smokey taste.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by russell swift:
Anybody ever try a mix of apple and pecan for a pork butt? I'm cooking a pork butt and some chickens, and looking to find a combination for both meats. Always enjoyed the sweet taste that pecan brings, thought apple would balance out its sweetness and give it a smokey taste. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When i do pork or beef i always mix smoke woods. I always use pecan and use apple or cherry with a 50/50 ratio. When i do poultry i just use a single smoke wood usually apple.
icon_smile.gif

What does that Apple taste like on chicken? I bought a bag last year from BBQ Galore and have yet to use it? Might be what I smoke with today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Morgan:
What does that Apple taste like on chicken? I bought a bag last year from BBQ Galore and have yet to use it? Might be what I smoke with today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Apple goes good with anything. Nice sweet mild smoke.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Morgan:
What does that Apple taste like on chicken? I bought a bag last year from BBQ Galore and have yet to use it? Might be what I smoke with today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use apple wood and hickory with chicken, 3:1 ratio. I then inject with apple juice. Along with the rub I put on, it tastes fantastic.

Yes, I've done pecan and apple on a butt, it's a good combination. The milder apple dilutes the sharpness of the pecan and adds a sweet undertone to balance the strength of the pecan.
Pecan makes such a great base for any meat. Add in oak, cherry, or hickory for beef and lamb For the lighter meats soften its richness with fruitwood or maple.

Back