Wood for Beef Tenderloin?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm looking for smokewood suggestions for a whole beef tenderloin. Anyone have a favorite?

Rita

I have done a lot of beef (mainly tenderloins) using lump charcoal (mesquite or Royal Oak), and using white or red oak for wood. Been very pleased with the flavor of oak and beef. I did try Pecan at different times and I did not care for it.

Not sure if you can get the red oak elsewhere, but it is pretty common here in California. I think some call it coastal red oak. I even use it with kingsford or lump for direct grilling of beef or lamb and it works well.

Chris

Thanks Chris and Jim! I have some oak chunks but don't know the type - they are not in the bag anymore. I'll call around.

Rita

Bummer. I tried BBQ Galore and The Big Green Egg; neither carry red oak.

Should I substitute white oak? Or something else?

Rita

I would use the white oak for now, and see if you can get your hands on red oak just for comparisons sake. Either should be very nice for your tenderloin.

Thanks everyone! I used the generic oak chunks from BBQ Galore and the tenderloin turned out just fine. I only used 3 ounces of wood (3 small chunks) - yup, I weigh it so it's easier to compare my notes from previous cooking sessions - and the meat turned out just fine.

Rita

Back