Wood for Baby Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallas Packer

Good morning everyone. I'm firing up the WSM as we speak. Will be cooking two large racks of baby back ribs.

I just received a shipment of apple, cherry, oak, and hickory wood chunks. Any suggestions on which wood to use or perhaps a combo of woods. Also dry or soaked? How many chunks? The chunks I have are fist sized. When should I put the chunks on the coals. Should I add more during the cook? I assume that I should not add the ribs until the white smoke turns almost clear. Am I correct. I appreciate any and all tips and opinions.

I was leaning to using two dry chunks of apple but with all the experience on this board I thought I'd ask for your opinions.

Thank you for your input.

This is our first smoke of the year in Northeast
Ohio. Finally have a sunny day.

What could be better than sunshine, the Final Four, and BBQ ribs?

Dallas

Hi Dallas. The cherry and apple are good, so is the hickory. Today I was lazy and just put on a few chunks of hickory for my BB ribs. By the time you read this you'll have already eaten them though /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I just finished my first smoke of BB Ribs, and they were average. They were tender, but firm (I don't like my ribs mushy), however I had too much smoke. I used 1 Hickory 2 Oak and 2 Apple, going to try cutting the Oak out next time I guess, or maybe I'll go 1 of each.

No, I just threw them on top of the charcoal. I was using the Minion Method. Should I add the wood differently?

Chad
Pre burning wood can cut down on some bitter flavors. Fresh wood applied smoulders giving off some creosol(spelling). I use only cherry wood and apply it- as is to the coals and have not noticed a problem. It might make a bigger difference with stronger woods (mesquet, hickory)and posibly Oak.

Russ,

I took you up on your recommendation of 2 chunks hickory and 4 cherry. I cooked the ribs for 3 hours at 225 and the final 2 1/2 hours at 250. The ribs came out perfect. I'm so glad I cooked yesterday. Last night a storm came through and we are now sitting on 8 inches of fresh snow (hopefully the last snow). It is spring isn't it? Baseball starts today! It's time for outdoor cooking regardless of the weather!

Next cook I will experiment with a apple/cherry combo and see how that works!

Thanks for the tips everyone and good Q'ing to y'all.

Dallas

Chad,

Well, lots of folks use the Minion Method with no adverse affects from NOT pre-burning wood. The amount and type obviously play a role.

I've had good results using LESS wood when using Minion - to cut down on strong wood flavoring. I tend to only use Minion when necessary (long overnight cooks).

Otherwise, I'll use the standard method for any cook lasting 6 hours or less - and pre-burn the wood.

-Albert

Properly seasoned wood, in moderate amounts, should not give any of the undesirable effects mentioned so far. Creosote is a by-product of incomplete combustion-- common when burning green wood. The only place I really have ever seen pre-burning smoke wood specified is the BRITU recipe.

Doug,

You're right, pre-burning wood is specified only in the BRITU ribs recipe (it's not specified in the Standard Method).

I've amended my previous post. /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

-Albert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back