Wood Combinations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually do oak in hickory, but when I run out, I use oak and apple. I go heavier on the apple than I would hickory because it's milder. But with Oak, apple is mighty fine.

I generally use cherry "straight up. "

George,

Don't know, first time I've ever used it. I ordered it from Peoples Woods and it didn't say what kind od Oak it was, just oak. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George McDowell:
[qb] When using oak, does it matter which kind you use? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There are purists out ther who say it does.

Some folks, expecially when cooking tri-tip, say you must use only red oak.

I guy I know who owns a Q joint here in town uses only white oak.

A friend cut down a tree on his property and gave me some Oak, but I have no idea what kind it is. I think he mentioned blue oak.

Me, I'm not that particular. Oak is oak. As long as it ain't furniture, then I'll smoke with it.

Hey Bruce!
A mixture of peach and pecan is amazing!
for some reason cherry has always produced a kind of funky after taste to me. Kinda like the time I got a hold of my dear old Dad's styptic pencil when I was a wee lad....

This past weekend I did two pork butts and 6 slabs of baby backs. I used 3 chunks of oak and three small chunks of cherry for the butts and I used all apple wood for the ribs. They both came out great, especially the butts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back