Wood Chips

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Unfortunately, in my area it is difficult to find wood chunks in stores other than hickory and mesquite. I can however get apple, oak, and some other wood in chips. Would it be a good idea to roll the chips into logs with foil and use as you would wood chunks????

Tom:
As far as I know, it's best that the chips contact the burning fuel unimpeded. You might guesstimate how much chips you'll need to be equivalent to those required "fist-size" chunks.

I've used hickory chips in my grill over Kingsford and they worked great!

Mark

Tom

I've got the same problem here. Hickory chunks are easy to find and we cut our own Mesquite. I found Jack Daniel's Oak chips at Wal Mart on clearence $1 a bag,so I bought all they had. I plan to make foil logs and try it on the WSM. The guys with gas grills do that , I don't see wy it wouldn't work on the smoker. If it doesn't work, soak them and put right on the coals that may work.

Bob

I did a salmon with apple chunks. I soaked them for a couple hours. I got great reviews and great taste. Keep in mind I am always learning to do it better. I threw them on the coals after I put the meat on. Hope things work out.

I use the JD chips. I wrap them in foil and poke a toothpick size hole in the top. Makes them smoke for a longer time. I do them dry, making a fist size foil pack. Works great for me so far. The foil allows you to slow down combustion.

I get my chips from Ross or Marshall's. Seriously, they sell "Charcoal Companion" brand wood chips in the kitchen section, near all the grill stuff that's prolly in prominent display right now. Usually pay half the retail price.

I put a handful or two of these chips in a square of foil and wrap it into a little ball with a tail. The sharp edges on the chips make enough holes in the foil. Just toss them on the coals when you're ready to put on the meat.

Great info guys, thank you!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tom,

I found a great place to order wood chunks. He carries oak, hickory, cherry, and apple and will take special requests. Shipping is included in the price and depends on where you live. He is in western PA. The site is smoking wood.com. Here is the link:

http://www.smokingwood.com/

A 40lb box of any of the woods mentioned above cost me $32 (shipping included). Go to his web site and type in your zip code and you will get an immediate price quote.

Best of luck.

Dallas

Dallas,
Thank you. The site is great. I am going to order some apple and some oak from them tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back