Wood Chips vs Chunks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark T.

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I have used only chips soaked in water to this point, but I wanted to get some thoughts on using
wood chuncks. Do I need to soak them and any good sources (I have not had luck with ones I found on this site). Thanks for the input.

No need to soak if you're using the chunks in your WSM. For long cooks, many bury 1 or 2 in the coals with 1 or 2 on top - "time release smoke" /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paul

I use chunks that have not been soaked. I just drop them on top of the coals shortly after lighting via the Minion Method. Some people have mentioned they mix the lump among the unlit coals which would extend the smoke without attention.

I can find large bags of hickory & mesquite at Home Depot so check there (or whichever home improvement stores you have nearby) for the basic woods. Other woods like oak or fruit woods could be obtained from tree trimming companies, construction scrap (make sure it's untreated), or people who own orchards. If you find someone cutting down or pruning a tree they may be open to donating to your cause. You'd just have to be able to convert it to chunk sized pieces and be willing to wait while it dries & cures.

Joe

Just to add to Pauls post, if you are going to use chips there is no need to soak those either.
Make packet out of heavy duty foil with a hand full or more of chips seal tight inside. Punch 2 to 4 small wholes in the bag and throw it on top of the hot coals. The chips will last much longer that way.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul G.:
For long cooks, many bury 1 or 2 in the coals with 1 or 2 on top - "time release smoke" /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paul <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A similiar experience shocked me recently. I had 2 large chunks on top, and after about 4 hrs the WSM started smoking like I had never seen. I opened the door and with a flashlight I saw that 1 large chunk split in half and really ignited the chunk. I could then appreciate the time release smoke.

~ Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back