wood as fuel?

dave_scarpetti

TVWBB Member
Is there any reason I can't use wood from the grocery store intended for burning in the fireplace (after cut up into chunks) for high heat grilling?

Wonder why it isn't more common? Do splits catch quicker than chunk?
This is what I've been cooking on lately:
1000000128.JPG

If it's good, dry, hardwood (Oak, maple, ash, etc.) it should be fine. Even a little pine may be OK - gives it a bit of "campfire" flavor.

I would start by splitting the bigger logs down to the rough equivalent of 2" X 2" boards. Make sure they're the right length to fit on the charcoal grate of your grill.

However, I would usually burn-it-down to (at least, mostly) coals before cooking:

The best way to do this is usally a "log-cabin" fire, where you stack pairs of logs, alternating at 90-degrees. It looks sort of like the walls of a log cabin with an open space in the middle and four "walls". Use more wood than you think you'll need - it will burn down a lot. Once lit, this will burn-down quickly - producing a nice bed of wood coals.

Then, spread the coals and you're ready to cook!

I've done it a couple of times. It does impart a nice smoke flavor. The only disadvantage is it's harder to get consistantly sized coals and the wood coals die down must faster that briquets.

If you want a lot of heat, split the wood. Don't make chunks. It's the total area available for igniting at once that counts. The higher the heat you want, the finer you'll need to split the wood, and the burntime will be shorter. As already mentioned, stacking the wood so the air can reach the wood is something that you'd want.

Thanks for all the comments, I realize it sounds like a simple question, but I thought there was something about just plain aged wood that was bad, like volatiles coming out or something. But the past weekend I'd been using it and it was really nice and fairly easy to maintain, even though the shape is irregular.

Thanks all for the tips! I'm going through a lot of wood, but it's still comparable to briquettes for a short grill session.

dave, stack fist size chunks just like you would charcoal, light the wood and let all would light up, once wood is ashed spread like you would charcoal, works great. You do not have to let the would burn down to coals.

I wouldn't use it.A lot of wood sold at your local grocery or convenience store is treated with pesticides, they don't want creepy crawlies running around the store.

If you want to use wood I would find a local firewood guy and buy 1/2 a face cord from him. Not sure what you pay for a bag of wood but I can get a face cord (4' x 8' x 16") of mixed maple, and oak for between $65-$100 and I can do a lot of cooking with that much wood.

Back