Wonky Summit door?

Joe DeCarolis

One of the doors on my Summit S-670 has a problem I can't figure out. The right door is so flexible that it twists when I open it. It seems like something inside the door is broken because it shouldn't be that flexible. The left door is much stiffer and does not twist at all. Has anyone seen what the inside of the door looks like and is there some kind of brace in there is that supposed to keep it from twisting?

I imagine one of the pressure welds broke just like they do on the frame extensions on the SS Platinum Genesis grills.

Is it possible to take the door apart so I can get at the problem? There is stainless steel trim around the door, once that's off the door should come apart., but I don't know if the trim will come off and go back on without damage. It's a kind of sandwich construction with and inner and outer panel with who knows what in the middle.

Josh - are you talking suggesting new replacement doors or used? New would be very expensive but used would be an option if I could find one. Is there someplace on the internet that sells used Weber parts?

Is it possible to take the door apart so I can get at the problem? There is stainless steel trim around the door, once that's off the door should come apart., but I don't know if the trim will come off and go back on without damage. It's a kind of sandwich construction with and inner and outer panel with who knows what in the middle.

Josh - are you talking suggesting new replacement doors or used? New would be very expensive but used would be an option if I could find one. Is there someplace on the internet that sells used Weber parts?
I keep an eye on eBay for parts new and used. There's a couple other places I look also online. But those Summit grills get rusted out and beat up and are very often available for free near where I live in Seattle. Cody has a graveyard of them near him where I'm sure there is plenty of doors also.

I was supposed to pick one up before I left on vacation but couldn't get in time.

I don't know how it is around where you live but maybe you can keep an eye on the classified ads in your area for a donor Grill for parts.

Here are two links for parts available online, but you can also call Weber directly to get a price from them:

Back