With sand in the pan??

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have heard many say they use sand in the water pan to increase burn time. Can anyone tell me how the grease is caught? Do you put foil in before the sand or after? Tanks

Put foil on top to keep the sand clean. You can slope it down to the center to hold the drippings. Might not increase burn time, but does act as a more convenient heat-sink than water. Depends on if you believe the water vapor is a necessity for meat moisture or not.

Ditto! I fill my pan up about 7/8th full slopped toward the center and use HD xtra wide foil over it all. When done, simply remove old foil and install new. Haven't noticed a moisture difference and I cook mostly ribs. Don't know about the increased burn time though. Then again, I'm still a newbie here.

Good Luck, Bill on Grand Island (Bogi)

I agree with the above too. It also adds a little piece of mind for me on long cooks. It's nice not having to worry about the pan running dry, or refilling it.

I have a WSM and have been using sand. I also have a large mobile pit with a vertical. This pit does use propane. I cooked 24 slabs of ribs in the vertical and used foil covered sand. Cleanup was very easy. I can't comment in any manner regarding the use of sand vs. water for this pit but its well worth using sand and foil for cleanup.

I think cleanup is easier with a layer of sand "sandwiched" between the pan and the foil.

Sorry for the pun. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Thanks for all the help. I just finished with 8lb of spares and they turned out great. I noticed the grease boiling in the pan. Is this common with the sand lining? I should also mention that I lined the pan first with foil then sand then more foil.

Bill,

I put the sand directly in the pan, then cover with foil. I then apply a second layer of foil on the top. This prevents anything from dripping into the sand, should your foil rip or tear. It is the second layer of foil that I change/replace every time.

You shouldn't need to layer your pan with foil before adding the sand. I don't bother cleaning the water/sand pan at all. It's not a problem for me for the pan to become covered in smoke soot.

Bubbling oil should not be a problem. It happens all the time to me.

Thanks to all you cooks!!!! you folks have helped me a great deal I hope all have a outstanding 4th Bill Sr and Family

Original water pan works well with sand. Fill to about an inch or so of the top. Don't shake the base too much - it will fall in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back