With additional food items, add more wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm planning to do a small (5.5-pound) standing rib roast tomorrow . As long as the Bullet is fired up for the rib roast, I thought I'd add a 3.5-pound butt and 2 chickens to use in a new recipe for Brunswick stew that I'm testing. If the recipe is what I'm looking for, I'll post it.

Since I'll be running the whole cook at about 225?F (lid) without the initial hi-temp start, I'm thinking of using some apple and then adding some cherry to make sure the color of the herb crust on the roast will be appetizingly dark enough (my thanks to all of you for that information on my previous too-dark ribs post).

My question is, by adding the butt and 2 chickens, should I increase the amount of wood over that which I'd have used for the rib roast only?

Rita

Hi Rita!

Answer...NO.

The smoke will fill the void no matter how much meat is present.

Just be sure none of the meat is touching...that will insure room for the smoke to move around.

No matter of I am doing 3 or 10 racks...I alwasy add the same amount of wood.

Thanks, Stogie. I'm glad I asked. I'd thought that since a full load of food takes a little more fuel than a small amount of food, the rule might apply to wood as well. I learn something new (several somethings, actually) with every cook. I'd hate to think of where I'd be if it weren't for generous folks like you to guide me....I'd probably be using an electric smoker.....aaarrrgh!
Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back