Wireless configuration resets to default on reboot.

ALeontopoulos

Guys,

I've been suffering in silence for a few months thinking I'd eventually get this figured out, but I'm all out of ideas so I'm turning to the community. I'll try to lay out everything that I've tried so as to give the clearest picture possible. I've tried to scour the forums to see if anyone has something similar to this problem, but I haven't come across anything.

My configuration worked at one time. No issues at all, but at some point I think I made a change to the configuration settings and I've never been able to get back. I have reflashed numerous times and even used a different SD card just in case the backup that gets stored on the hidden partition was causing a problem.

Here's what happens:
I go in and edit the config.txt with my settings. And boot the device. The wifi picks up and all is good. I can go in and look at webpage. But when I pull the plug and turn it back on, boom, there it is, the 'heatermeter' access point and back to the 192.168.201.1 address on the screen.

I've tried flashing and then doing it from the UI but once the settings get saved and it reboots, the heatermeter AP again and the default IP address again. I've tried a combination of setting the config.txt and verifying in the UI and all looks good, but on reboot, back to default.

My most recent check was to change the config.txt and let it boot up and connect to my network. I then SSHd into the device and checked the /etc/config/wireless file and all the settings looked good. They correctly reflected my network settings. So I shutdown the device and rebooted, and once again the heatermeter AP and default IP. I then connected to AP and SSHd in again to see what the settings were in the /etc/config/wireless and yup, they had been changed to the default.

Now, all would be good if I could just keep it from changing the wireless config on reboot. I've thought that perhaps I could chmod the file to 666, but before I go and muck around some more, I was hoping that someone could tell me what the heck is going on. Oh, one last thing. I've been doing this primarily on a Mac but I make my changes to the config.txt with vim because I know TextEdit has some issues with RPi's by saving extra junk. If I need to burn the image on a Windows box, I can probably make that happen, but I haven't yet.

Is this on the latest snapshot? There was a bug that if something returned non-zero during the initial setup, the setup would get run on every boot (resetting the wifi configuration) That should be resolved as of a few months ago in the snapshots.

I'm using the Pi Zero for my build, so I've been using v13 since the snapshot I thought was for 2 and 3 only. I should have said that in my original post. I can give the latest snapshot a try if you think it will work.

Huh, well that was easy. I just assumed the zero wouldn't work with the latest snapshot, but it looks like that might have fixed the problem. I haven't done extensive testing on other functionality, but it appears that the IP stayed after a reboot. I'll keep looking at the other aspects to see that everything checks out, but I feel like I've wasted so much time trying to figure this out on my own. Well, live and learn. Thanks, Bryan. I truly appreciate all your hard work on this project. Keep up the great work.

ha HA! Well I am glad that was it. You know, six months ago I would have said you were crazy and there's just no way the filesystem could roll back like that but then I had one of my test systems doing the same thing and it really baffled me for hours trying to find how it was possible. I actually ran into it again Sunday morning when I tested upgrading from a v13 configured system to the latest snapshot again. Wait, how come the network configuration never takes... :argh: v13!

Back