winter stock-up?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Howdy,

I had not bought kingsford charcoal for years until 3 weeks ago when my WSM arrived. I have been reading that charcoal supplies seem to dry up during the winter.

Can someone elaborate on how hard it is to find charcoal, wood, etc. in the coming months? I have been smoking constantly on the last three weekends (of course!!!) and I have been consuming at least a 20# bag of charcoal a weekend.

I have been buying, I would assume, season ending sales of 40# for $10. If this is going to disappear soon, I wan't to know.

Thanks all

Troy,

My experience has been that charcoal is less generally available because many stores consider it a seasonal item. Same thing with wood. Doesn't mean you can't find it, just that the price may be higher and it won't be in all the stores any more.

I'd consider stocking up a little, but do you really want to buy enough to get through to spring? At the rate you mention, you'd need 25 bags.

Check out Menard's some time soon. Our local store has 40 lb. bags of hickory chunks that have worked real well for me. They also have mesquite, but I'm not a big fan of that flavor.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I have a Menard's within 5 minutes, maybe I'll stop by today and see their stocking situation. By the way, my local Farm & Fleet doesn't even carry charcoal. (seemed odd)

Troy

Troy,

Yeah, I see variation in what they carry, too. We have mainly Fleet Farm in the area rather than Farm & Fleet. They have all kinds of grills and accessories when in season, but it's hard to find the charcoal. Plus, I never see any great deals on it and I never see wood there. That really baffles me; stores that carry smokers and then they don't even have wood for smoking?!? Do they have a clue?

I will usually stock up on the wood.But I have never had a problem at all geeting charcoal in wisconsin.I get most of my wood from Grate Grills in Green Bay. HAPPY BBQ

The Home Depot near me has already sold its last and won't be buying again until next spring.

However the Sam's club had 24lb for $9 so I bought a few.

20 lbs. a weekend seems to be a lot. I'm smoken and grillen and I don't think I use 20 lbs. Thats one bag for two days. Remember whatever is left over you can reburn.

Went to Home Depot this morning to reload and they were all out. I assume they will restock. Had duck game on Saturday and probably all the tailgaters got it. Heck, they make the stuff here, should not be a big problem getting it. I do notice though the 24 lb twin packs for $10.00 disappear. Bought some 20 lb bags at Wally Mart but they were getting $6.69 per bag.

I guess here in Florida we are used to getting charcoal year round since we have the weather to bbg and grill out all but maybe a month out of the year. A Home Depot saying were out of charcoal and wont have any more till the spring will all but cause a violent vigalante mob to form and tear down the corporate monster that is HomeDepot.

Any of you northern folks need a load of kingsford this winter, you drop me an email. I'll hook you up and it wont even hurt....After the first time that is....Kidding.

Troy the Farm and Fleets (or Fleet Farms I can never keep that straight) had twin 20 lB bags of kingsford advertised for $8.88 last week the one near me (Menomonee Falls) was out so I took the raincheck over to Home depot they not only honored the raincheck but gave me an additional 10% off so I walked away at about $4.00 I bought 12 of the 2 packs and loaded up (480 lbs). If I have to buy charcoal before next summer I will be shocked!!!

Home Depots regular price was the 9.99 for the two 20 lb bags I'd check out the one on the east side near 90/94.
$5.00 a bag for Kingsford has always been a decent deal for me.

Tom,

I work right near that Fleet Farm. Can you believe it - Fleet Farm, Home Depot, and soon to be a Menard's within a two minute drive. This is what heaven must be like!

Tony

Tom,

I appreciate the assist, but I just this weekend bought out the Home Depot you mentioned. It was kind of like the barbeque death march, because all the stocking people were pulling the barbeque shelves in mass. I also saw Menard's emptying their shelves.

I have lived in Wisconsin for 12 years, and I PROMISE TO ALL, THAT I HAVE, AND WILL CONTINUE TO, BARBEQUED ALL WINTER LONG!!!

I can stop barbequeing when I am dead
Troy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back