winter doldrums are gonna be cured this afternoon

Joe C

TVWBB Member
12 lbs standing rib roast just hit the grate about 20 min ago. Good friends are are on the way over. Beer is cold, wine is chilling, cocktails makings are ready.
Got my new Weber remote them I got for xams keeping an eye on things. Man that thing is great. I can sit inside and make sure everything is goin g good.
Have a great day everyone.

Joe in cold but sunny Penna

Im with ya Joe. Ive got a brisket on the top rack and baked beans on the bottom. Got a 12 lb bird on the kettle indirect. Have a 1/4 barrel of Dab in the snow and some buddies on the way to watch Illini basketball game and then play some Texas hold em.
I cant believe its not windy today. Its very nice here in Chicago compared to lately.
Enjoy your company and the prime rib.

Bob, the roast turned out phenomenal. This was the first one I did. It was probably the easiest thing I've cooked on the Wsm to date. Full ring of fuel, dry foiled water pan and used the top grate. The Wsm spiked to 375 then settled down to 340 and stayed there all afternoon. It was a windy day and temps in the hi 20's.
I used a ribeye rub recipe from Tom Perenni's Texas cookbook.
The 12 lb roast cooked in 3 hrs. I pulled it off at 120 internal and rested it for 30 min and it was perfect. Everybody got a piece that was done to their liking.
One thing. I did not tie the roast nor did I carve off the bones before serving. I just sliced it as was and everybody was happy. Most wanted their piece with the bone intact.
Ya get just a tad nervous when your working with a $95 hunk of meat but all in all I'd rate this cook a 100% success.
Joe

Ahhh, carving, my new love affair! Books and videos and now carving sets (curse you, ebay!).

There are a few different "official" ways to carve a prime rib. You don't have to take it off the bone.

Sometimes it's easier (and it's an ok method, too) to stand it on edge with the bone tips facing the ceiling and slice down (generally one slice with no bone, one with bone, one without, one with, and so on).

Wow, i didnt realize that a standing rib roast was that much money for YOU guys. I did a Kosher rib roast, a 20 pounder and it set me back $200...but thats the usual price i pay for meat. You get you regular meat a whole lot cheaper.. i dindt realize that for the rib roast they charge that much money....I guess when it comes to prime rib our prices are the same.. hey, learn something new almost every day...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Tag:
If I am gonna pay that much for a hunk of meat then I am gonna leave the bone in. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And then bronze that SOB to hang!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back