Winnnnndy!!

MikeW

Things are really gusting here today and although it took me a while to get things stable this morning I am holding real well around 230 dome. It is really windy and I have no wind break rig. Doing some chicken and some sausage so this is not an all day smoke, but this is my first real windy day smoke. How are things for you Bob T.? You have to have the same thing I do

Same here with the wind. The gusts are so strong any wind break I could come up with would most likely blow over and take out my smoker.

I was thinking of doing a couple of chickens but I'll wait for another day.

Jim

On a windy day chicken is a good choice, it can take higher pit temps and you only have a short cook to deal with.
Jim

If it makes you feel any better, I just finished cooking an eye round roast, sliced paper thin. Wind is about one mph and 86 degrees. Took less than 2 hours. Sorry.

Hey Mike!
I did 2 Picnics. Tossed on Sat. night. Yea, it was reallt windy! I had a hot water heater wrap last year I used in the winter. It was a 2 piece contraption. I tossed the bottom part away, but still have the top part. I use the top part for windy, or rainy conditions. It looks like heck, but works lol. It goes down over the lid and a few inches past the top grate. Works well for me. I'm either getting another wrap this year, or the one the BBQ Guru sells. I know a hot water heater wrap will help you, but the Guru cover may only be good if you have a Guru.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:
If it makes you feel any better, I just finished cooking an eye round roast, sliced paper thin. Wind is about one mph and 86 degrees. Took less than 2 hours. Sorry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, don't be, I'll keep my change of seasons any day. Fall is the best time of year for me around here. Nice crisp air, lot's of color on the trees. Love it!

It was plenty windy 'round here too, so I decided to get some experience with the WSM under these conditions. I did 2 slabs of spares and a grate full of various sausages using the MM starting with about 18 - 20 lit coals and hot water in the pan. I was suprised how long it took to get up to temp, but I don't think the wind had anything to do with that. My smoker's been running cool lately and takes a long time to get to cooking temp. I also have to keep the vents open 100% for hours just to maintain 250 at the lid. I prolly should've just used the standard method, but I don't like how long it takes to get the temp to stabilize that way.

Kirk, what kind of charcoal are you using?? Are you using fresh stuff or reusing charcoal from a previous cook?

Always fresh Kingsford Paul. I'm using a full ring of it each time too, which I know is overkill but I don't want the issues that some have expeienced using the MM with less than a full ring. I just had a thought, but I'm going to start a new thread so as not to hijack this one.
Edit - I think I just answered my own question. I went back to Chris' instructions for the MM and I realize now that I haven't been using enough lit coals for the conditions. I only used about 18 this weekend when it was so windy when I should have used 20 to 40.

Back