Wing Night Vortex Style On WPD

I rinsed them and put them on a baking sheet and patted them as dry as I could.

Then I tossed them in a salt / pepper / granulated garlic / corn starch mix. Roughly 3x the corn starch as the other seasoning.

Put them back on a baking sheet and put them in the fridge for a couple hours. Took them out of the fridge about 30mins before going on the grill.
Trying this exact cook tomorrow! Thanks.

Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but I threw 3 small cherry chunks onto the top of the coals in the vortex after I put the wings on the grate.

Well done. I see the foil liner. Do you find that is helpful? Looking to keep the kettle cleaner here.

Yes, 4 pieces of 18" foil liner. Feels like a pain, but after doing it a couple times, it is just a couple minutes and worth it as I just peel the liner and throw away and the bottom of the kettle is spotless.

Well done. I see the foil liner. Do you find that is helpful? Looking to keep the kettle cleaner here.

The foil under the wings is a great idea. I have to try it. I have been using the vortex without the foil and you get a mix of chicken fat and ashes as well as some flare-up's when the chicken fat catches fire. I always thought that placing the foil under the wings would make the wings less crispy. Something new to try. Thanks.

Back