Wine barrel oak chunks. What would you cook with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi all,

Suppose you had access to a quantity of oak chunks made from used wine barrels (as I might). Cabernet, Merlot, Chardonay, Reisling, some Chenin Blanc and some Sauvignon Blanc.

Which ones would you pick and what would you cook with them?

Thanks.

Rob

I posed this question awhile back and got some negitive feedback about using the barrels. If the barrels were cut in half and used for flower pots, definitely do not use them. Then some said that the whole barrels might be treated on the outside with some preservative, again a no no. See if there are any more opinions out there. Myself, I'm not going to use wine barrels.

Thanks Tony. In this case they'd be straight from a friend's winery.

(Guy I used to work with is living my dream. Took a retirement package and bought some land on the Long Island North Fork and making some really good wine.)

Rob, I read this last night and remembered oak barrel chunks from it. It's posted in the cooking section. Here I'd give it a try personally (if they weren't used as planters), but then again....I'm not afraid to die!

Nick P.

Paumanok.

I'm heading out to Cutchogue this weekend. I'll stop in and see if he'll sell me a barrel after he's done this fall.

Stay tuned.

I have always preferred a good Merlot.

If I had to choose (and I would require a sample of all the wines prior to choosing) it would probably be from one that had been in the barrel the longest and left the most distinguished smell.

Rob,

Do let everyone know how this turns out. I make an annual pilgrammage to The Center of My Wine Universe (Sonoma/Napa) and have been known to bring back "things", some in bottles, some not. If I need to corner one of the wineries and toss a barrel on top of my ride, I can do that (picture the Beverly Hillbilles roadtrip to Phoenix).

Jimbo,

No kidding. They make wine in Napa? I thought it was just a Long Island thing. Who knew?
icon_wink.gif

Seriously though. I'll see what the story is this weekend about getting my hands on one or two.

I just realized it'll need to wait past this fall. Sheesh. fall is when the wine goes in the barrels. Not the other way around.

Wouldn't you match the wine to the food you're smoking?

Red w/ Beef, White with fish & Chix
icon_wink.gif

When in doubt, take it all, you can always sell it on E-Bay!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ROB O:

I just realized it'll need to wait past this fall. Sheesh. fall is when the wine goes in the barrels. Not the other way around. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sorta wondered, but CA does their bottling right around the harvest, so some barrels get retired then.

I've seen some "wine barrel chunks in a bag", but I wouldn't use what I saw.

Ya know..... maybe you're right. I never paid that much attention to it. Well... I guess I'll know tomorrow.

Hey Rob, how did the trip out east go? I'd love to try some of the wine barrels. I just noticed that your friends winery was 1 of the sponsers for the Cow Harbor race 2 weeks ago here in Northport.

Wrong weekend to go out east Nick. It was crawling with tourists (Columbus Day weekend.)

His place was jammed and I didn't get a chance to spend any time with him. But read the post in conversation. Maybe we'll get a chance to go out there in the next 2 weeks or so?

ROB....so I take it we shouldn't expect any barrel chuncks to arrive via USPS or UPS in the next few days hugghhhh? LOL.........just messing with ya. Did you pick up any wine? If so what kind......does he have a website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back