Wine and BBQ

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
This question might be a little off subject, but here goes....my wife and I are throwing a wedding shower this weekend, and I am preparing two pork butts for pulled BBQ. We are serving beer, and against my wishes, will also be serving wine. Any recommendations on a paired wine with BBQ pork? Do any exist?

I drink wine or cold vodka with everything since I don't drink beer (yes, I know).

Chardonnays from Santa Barbara or Monterey counties, Pinot Gris from Oregon (or Chilean Pinot Grigio) are good whites for Q'd pork; Calif. syrahs or Aussie shiraz work, as do zinfandels.

But anything you think the wine drinkers of your group will like would be worth having.I have never been a follower of white wines with white meat, red wines with red. I think that's foolish.

Here's a few that come to mind:

Firesteed Pinot Noir (Oregon): Medium body red, good fruit, a bit of astringency to clear grease from the palate, well-received by casual wine drinkers. Low wallet impact, under $10. Serve slightly cool (not cold) on a hot day. Comparable selection: Beringer Founder's Estate Pinot Noir.

Chateau Ste. Michele Pinot Gris (Washington State): Light white, alternative to Chardonnay, but with more flavor than the garden variety Italian Pinot Grigio. Dry, and a bit pétillant (lightly carbonated mouthfeel) with a slight stone fruit bitterness on the back end that might convert a dyed-in-the-wool beer drinker to wine, if only for a hot afternoon. Under $8.

Yalumba Viognier "Y Series" Australia: Another easy-drinking Chardonnay alternative, with flavors more floral and of tropical fruit. Under $10.

Crowd-pleaser cheap-- I mean inexpensive-- whites: Cavit Pinot Grigio (Italy), Jacob's Creek Chardonnay (Australia), Alice White Chardonnay (Australia). On the red side, you can't go wrong with any of the Columbia Crest Two Vines (Washington State) series currently offered.

If it were me, I would seriously consider the level of wine appreciation of your guests.

No disrespect intended, but if you're dealing with folks who don't normally drink wine, then I wouldn't waste the time and money chasing labels or worrying about paring a particular wine with the meal. IMO, for novice wine drinkers try to stick with lighter, sweeter wines. Think white or rosé with a low alcohol content (white zin). Most wine aficianados will tolerate them, and most novices will enjoy the experience.

On the other hand, if you're serving to experienced wine drinkers, then by all means go for it. I'll echo Kevin and Doug on the Pinot Gris. You could go Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Merlot, or a 12-13% alcohol Zinfandel.

I can't seem to find it anymore, but a great picnic and BBQ wine - Gamay Beaujolais - might be just what you're looking for.

I do appreciate everyone's responses on this topic....we're gonna have two kegs, which should be plenty enough booze. Have to offer an alternative to beer, and don't feel like breaking out the liquor for this event. I don't plan on spending more than $8/bottle, so I'll probably find some cheap Chardonney, Pinot Gris and Syrah.

I'll only weigh in with reds, since I don't know anything about whites. I like the idea of something a bit spicy with Q, so I'd probably go with a Syrah/Shiraz (a personal bargain fave is Whoop Whoop, usually less than $10/bottle).

That said, I also like Italian reds with food, because they go with most things and you don't need to think too much about them. Chiantis or Piedmont reds are great non-intrusive wines. If you want something a little fancier, try a Multipulciano. All of these would work well with things that aren't too spicy.

[On edit] The Italians might be a bit overpowered by spicy (or heavily sauced) Q. I stand by the Syrah/Shiraz.

Back