Windy City Rib Tips

Mitch J

I've cooked up quite a few slabs of Stl. spares recently, so there have been a decent amount of tips accumulating in my deep freeze. I am in the process of my first rib tip cook, and I am using the "Windy City Rib Tips" recipe from the new Slow Fire by Ray Lampe. I altered the sauce just a tad, but I decided to do everything else by the book. After enclosing the tips in an aluminum pan, I threw on some chicken drumsticks and added a little apple wood to sweeten them up. Pictures will arrive sooner or later....

(I highly recommend Slow Fire, by the way. More on that later.)

I have a lot of trimmings. Gonna do them sooner or later. Looking forward to your pics.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitch J:
(I highly recommend Slow Fire, by the way. More on that later.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm a big Ray Lampe fan but I'm not of that book (which I own....as well as his first and Road Trip....the first is best by far IMHO).

I'm not sure why "new" cooks need to aluminum foil every single piece of meat that goes into a smoker (per Slow Fire). Ray, if you're reading this, please refer to your first book which says "boiling ribs ain't cooking ribs." (Or, something to that effect.) I'd say the same thing for categorically telling everyone to foil every rib, brisket, etc. that they cook.

Looking forward to the pics. I often smoke the trimmings with only salt/pepper...Then add em to any stew/bolognese.

Sorry for the lack of quality pictures...they got devoured before I got a good opportunity to get some good pics. The sauce gave them more of an orange-ish color than I thought it would, but it was still quite tasty. I prefer ribs to have a deeper red color when they are cooked in sauce, but that's just me. Good flavor and tenderness, however I thought the rub was a little too salty. I used a good amount of Lampes #67 rub. https://picasaweb.google.com/l...MTOQ?feat=directlink

Monty- I agree with you in regards to foiling everything. I've even found that his cook times are too long when foiling for the designated time. I did some spares according to one of the recipes in SF, same temp and time per the book, and they came out overdone. They flopped right off the bone the moment they were picked up, which is too tender in my opinion.

I am a big fan of the simplicity of his recipes because they allow for lots of experimenting. I have been able to use sauce/rub/side/entree recipes from his book and put my own twists on them w/out hesitation. Many cookbooks I have are too specific, and therefore hard to play around with. (if that makes sense...)

Back