Wind shield

I have the smoker jacket made by BBQ guru. At about $100 for the 18.5", it's not cheap, but it does work well!

http://http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/18.5%22%20%20WSM%20Smoker%20Jacket

I used it in. BBQ compitition and we had heavy rain and wind up to 40 mph at 50 deg F. With this jacket on, my weber temps remained stable through the night. I have also used it on days in the low 30's with no problem. All though I haven't used it at temperatures and weather that would be considered extreme, I Have yet to find its limits.

I have used mine in very low temps (0F and below). The insulation qualities are very good. You will get condensation that will freeze on the ground around the WSM but that's hardly the jacket's fault :)

I have heard that the green wool blankets the military uses also work.

This. Just be sure to get the older style blankets that are 100% wool. I fold one in half lengthwise, wrap around the R2 unit, and clip it at the overlap point with a single small spring clip. Easy to sue, easy to store. I got two on eBay for around $35 total.

Downside - makes your R2 unit look like a Jawa.

Yea, you will be just fine. Just rotate the lid so the top vent is downwind.

Tim
It may have just been the extreme weather that day, but I discovered during a contest last March that having the top vent downwind ended up sucking all the heat out of the cooker and that having it upwind stopped that. I will admit the weather was terrible, but I have kept the top vent upwind since then and haven't had a problem sucking the heat out.

We also use wool army blankets on the cookers. One blanket will make two covers for a 22". Can generally find them everywhere, garage sales, etc.

It may have just been the extreme weather that day, but I discovered during a contest last March that having the top vent downwind ended up sucking all the heat out of the cooker and that having it upwind stopped that. I will admit the weather was terrible, but I have kept the top vent upwind since then and haven't had a problem sucking the heat out.

We also use wool army blankets on the cookers. One blanket will make two covers for a 22". Can generally find them everywhere, garage sales, etc.

I dunno, cause that's weird. I'd rather have a cold wind on my back than in my face, and I know my WSM's likes it that way also. I always do HH cooks on blustery cold days (- 40 wind chill ) and I never had a prob loosing heat.
Maybe because I set mine in a washtub, which is tall enough to block the breeze entering the bottom vents?

Tim

Back